Powerwashing Lanai

Is anyone here familiar with powerwashing their lanai. I've just moved to Flordia and have yet to to this. I would rather do it myself then have someone else do it for me. What are your thougths? My big question is I'm thinking about picking up an electric powerwasher at Home Depot. They go for about $150.00.
What type of solution do you use to clear out the algea that has been starting to grow? I thought about using some of my chlorine from the pool but I'm afraid to use that around the roofing shingles.
Chris
Thanks
Chris

You can rent a powerwasher. A rental will be more powerful than a $150 unit. Check the rental department at your Home Depot or independent rental center. You don't need any chemicals to clean off the algae. The plain water at high pressure will do the job. The chlorine won't hurt asphalt shingles but you could cause a lot a problem by directing a high pressure stream of water under the shingles. Therefore, I would avoid using a PW on the roof. You can get an oxygenated cleaner for roofs designed to clean off algae.
It's not that I want to clean the roof. It's the fact that there is siding leading up to the roof. Will that be affeced?
Chris

I would use a detergent-and-bleach solution, applied from a garden sprayer. Use 1 cup of household bleach to one gallon warm water with a small amount of dishwashing soap. A stiff-bristle brush on a pole may help. You mentioned Home Depot--they have anti-algae products you may want to try.

I use Clorox and TSP to wash down my deck and siding. It gets rid of the mildew and algae. However, I have also used a pressure washer with plain water.