Poll: Who else uses mesh filters in sink and shower drains?

Page 1 of 2
We use the mesh strainers in kitchen sinks to catch any food residue from washing dishes (I don't soak dishes in still water) and in the tub drain to catch loose hair during showers.
I have a next door neighbor who moved in a few years ago and about every six weeks, the rooter guy pays them a visit for several hours using the big machine that shakes up the whole street. The previous homeowners never rootered in the twenty years that they were in residence. We've never had to clear our drains until the last year when I did it myself with a plunger and recently with an auger.
So how common is it to use the strainer? Do people not do it because it's grody to empty out the strainer and believe that the water will push the "matter" through the waste pipe?
On 31 Jul 2003 08:49:49 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (what to do) wrote:

I use them in both the kitchen and tub drains. My hair falls out pretty rapidly and I have to empty the strainer after each shower. One thing I don't like is the water backs up into the tub several inches before I'm done showering due to the hair collecting there.
Nan

:-P It's shorter than it used to be (now shoulder length) but had been about to the middle of my back when I got it cut.

I have no idea what the flow is. How would someone even measure that? We have terrible water pressure though. And ours is a hand-held as well. Still floods the tub.
Nan

Our sewer line tends to get blocked with tree roots and the management here has to send a plumber out about twice a year to clean out the lines. We'll get great drainage for a few months after a cleaning, then it starts backing up again.

Looks like something to try tomorrow :-)
Nan

OIC. Even broken lines?? The plumbing in this area is horrendous.
Nan

All over the country, governments have been pushing for more and more sewer lines. It's expensive for residents, and the EPA says disposing of so much water is an environmental problem. A big percentage of existing lines are so broken that they need replacement, and there is no money for it; yet governments keep extending lines.
Sewers make it easy to put in fly-by-night businesses without investing in wastewater disposal. That's how farmland and forest turn into urban sprawl. Of course, if you want to rent buildings to tennants for housing or commercial use, a sewer connection means it's not the landlord's problem if tennants put something down the drain that would damage a septic system; it's the municipality's problem.
A copper wire won't mend broken pipes, but it can keep roots away from the cracks.
--
Best Regards,
Lloyd

Hmmmm..... I imagine part of our community's problem is the well system doesn't support the growing number of residents, and the septic is even worse.

Nan

Lloyd Im confused.
Are you making an argument FOR septic tanks... and against sewer lines?
Signed .... Confused
On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 15:16:09 -0400, Marcia Pease

How about alt.marcia.can.bite.me?
Nan

If you're looking for a bite, why not stop in? We don't discriminate on the basis of hair length.
--
Barbecue Bob serving family-style roast bunny
at convenient restaurants

You should make your waitresses wear hair nets, though. Last time I was there, I found a very long blond hair in my food.
Nan, brunette
Be careful, Nan, he's not talking about a bite of food. He's always trying to nibble on my ear.
Cindi

It's routine. We do it for all our customers. It's one reason for our reputation.
If we ever find your corn over- or undercooked, the chef will personally bring you an ear roasted to perfection.
--
Barbecue Bob serving family-style roast bunny
at convenient restaurants

That wasn't a waitress. It was a crossdressing customer known to some as Cindi and others as Chuck. If you don't see a car in the parking lot with its doors open to air out, you'll be able to eat in peace.
If by chance you meant a long blond hare, we're running a special on those in August. You can choose yours and scoop it up with a hare net, and we'll microwave it in savory sauces.
--
Barbecue Bob serving family-style roast bunny
at convenient restaurants

No, it was definitely a waitress. Her nametag said "Marcia" She was loud and brash and bossy to everyone. I noticed several customers stiffed her on a tip because of her rude behavior.
Nan

No, I've never been to the Playboy Club. But I don't think Marcia would make a very good bunny either. Her assets leave much to be desired.
Nan

AHC is a family group, and our policy is Don't Ask, Don't Tell. If you wish to discuss the women you desire, you might be happier at soc.women.lesbian-and-bi.
--
Until next time,
Marcey

Marcey, you should visit Marcia.is.delusional
Nan
Listen to Lloyd. He is the resident expert on this subject.

Is that another name for a washing-up bowl? I always chuck my washing up water onto the roses.