Periscope Fan Cleaning?

My stove is on an island in the middle of my kitchen. During design, there was no way to get a hood-fan in place without some significant relocation of the entire second story. Enter an engineering marvel; a periscope fan.

I LOVE this single item of modern design. The Thermador 45" Cook-n' Vent (CVS45R) is sexy. The power from the motor is awesome. It didn't cost the proverbial arm-n-leg... But I didn't realize there was a latent flaw; cleaning the actual vent and motor of this sucker.

I've been very good at upkeep (keeping the mesh filters clean, wiping down the blower and intake areas every 4 months) and maintenance (yearly tech visits to keep things lubed and working) but now have to actually

*think* about how to go about cleaning the vents and motor.

Ideas? Thoughts?

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

Hi Ranger

I LOVED my Cook n Vent, after a few alterations! Kept it when I replaced the lousy cooktop with a Dacor.

After some cooking grease dripped out of the housing into the cabinet below, we knew it was time for a good cleaning, including the ductwork.

We called a company and contracted to have it steam cleaned once every three months. It was cheaper to go the once every three month route than only twice a year.

The first time they cleaned it, they removed the front cover to get to the component parts, and also to seal it up better than the manufacturer designed it. Thereafter, they just ran their steam cleaning nozzles through the system.

It was only $140.00 per year for 4 cleanings per year after the initial cleaning and sealing when we started with them, and only rose to $160.00 per year after about 5 years.

Even using the extra thick filters, you would not believe how much grease they got out of the ductwork at every cleaning.

I used Martin's Grill Service, they handled many of the restaurants in my immediate vicinity.

When I replaced the Thermador cooktop with a Dacor, they relocated the control panel for the Cook n Vent to behind the cabinet false drawer front and made it a tilt out drawer front as well.

The first time we remodeled our whole kitchen was Thermador/Waste King. Had trouble with the grill from day one, and had to have the dishwasher serviced about every other month. Decided to replace the cooktop with Dacor, and couldn't have been happier with how it performed, especially the grills. The Thermador never would get hot enough to cook anything properly. The Dacor has an excellent temperature depth over the grill, for a home grill.

TTUL Gary

"The Ranger" wrote:

Reply to
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.