[OT] Clogged Dishwasher?

Any ideas how to get a dishwasher unclogged? Will Drano work best?
Thanks

I'm not a plumber, but I would *NOT* use Drano (or anything like it) on a dishwasher. That stuff is so strong, it can eat through metal pipes if left there long enough (a plumber told me that once after I'd wrecked my landlord's pipes with it--thankfully, he didn't tell the landlord!) It would most likely destroy any plastic parts it came in contact with in your dishwasher.
If you don't still have the owners' manual, look for the manufacturer's website. They may have a FAQ there that covers this problem. If not, they should have a customer service phone line, or at least an email address.
--
MaryMc
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.mindspring.com

There's usually a nylon hose that runs from the DW to the garbage disposal or drain. Check that or the grate/outtake in the DW itself. It could be a broken pump, too (In which case it probably needs replaced by a professional).
-sw
On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 17:02:46 -0500, while driving the porcelain
vomited the words:

ugh. it's been a long day. i was sitting here picturing panty hose in someone's dishwasher.
david
--
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/derbarbier /
(ebay sales)

I'm definately NOT a plumber, however, my dishwasher was recently what I thought was clogged. I noticed that it was over flowing, and part of a sponge was hanging out of the drainage hole. Got it out, still clogged. turned out that it had nothing to do with the sponge and there were several problems with it including the motor was bad. It was unusually old for a cheap dishwasher, about 9-10 years, and the most inexpensive model - heard that normal life was about 4-5 years. Maybe longer for top models with better motors etc. I was so sure it was just a clogged drain and all the time it was not.
JuanG wrote:

I recently thought my dishwasher was clogged, but it turned out it that the drain for my entire sink was becoming slow, and that it was the most obvious when using my dishwasher. Drano in the dishwasher did not help.
If I were you, I'd take apart the plumbing between the dishwasher and the main drain (I am not a plumber) and look for the clog.
Also, a lot of people with apparently clogged dishwashers have a faulty pump or solenoid. Does it sound like your dishwasher is trying to drain?