Oil stains off garage floor

I have some fresh oil stains on my garage floor... what's the best way to remove them?
I put kitty litter on fresh oil stains! Let it set for several hours, then brush it up with a broom. It does a pretty good job of lifting and absorbing oil, especially if it is a fresh spill. I use a fine-textured "clumping" litter, but that is only because I always have that available for my cats. I don't know if the texture makes any difference, or not.
MaryL