Of Some Concern To Our Group

How do others in our group feel about our posts being stolen and used in online forums? I must say I was quite annoyed to see it, I assumed my post would only come here or to the archives, some sites seem to copyright the posts - not on I say. On my search for signs of our missing posters I found several sites doing the same, they made it look as though WE posted to their forums. Should someone complain or is it acceptable practise? This one for example

(I am NOT spamming this company but see no other way to point to them) over on the left is the Cleaning Service Forums where I can see our thread titles including "Best of Bonk "which iirc was by winnie ho, she could have said MRS Bonk and made life easier for me but still all done and dusted now. To be quite frank I find it all rather deceitful. What say you?

Reply to
Mrs Bonk

I don't think complaining would do any good, but I don't find it to be an acceptable practice, either. Most of these sites do not honor a posters no archive request, either in the post body or the headers, either.

Nan

Reply to
Nan

It's been going on for quite a whiles now, Mrs. B. and I daresay there is not much to be done about it. If you google my name you'll see a whole bunch of my Usenet posts "archived" on various discussion boards, same with yours and many others'...

Frex some of my rec.travel posts appear on such places as

, why I don't know as I am neither British or an ex - pat...

I agree with you, it's a somewhat sneaky practice. I frankly don't know why these boards have to resort to "harvesting" posts from Usenet groups. I don't know what the "legal" ramifications of such practices are...IIRC Usenet posts are not "owned" by anyone and I guess may be disseminated in most any matter.

Reply to
Gregory Morrow

You're not the Gregory Morrow who used to play for the Boston Patriots? Is he British? Could it be that you suffer from amnesia after being bonked too many times? If you're not Gregory Morrow, I think you should apologize to his fans at

and change your name.

Reply to
Sawney Beane

I never played for a sports team and I am not British...

Reply to
Gregory Morrow

I think you're at least half right. If you were British, you would have denied being a soccer whizz.

Do you know anyone who knew you before your amnesia? If not, why not offer your autograph to some Pats fans? If they confirm that you're not *the* Gregory Morrow, you can get your name changed in Minnesota with no questions asked.

Reply to
Sawney Beane

I agree with Nan and Gregory. Doesn't seem right but not much we can do I guess.

Reply to
Dawn

I'll admit that quite frankly I'd rather change my *sex* than my

*name*...except perhaps if Choreboy could assist me in the matter.
Reply to
Gregory Morrow

This may help you decide:

It tells how to determine which sex you are mentally. Changing your name to Maurine might bring such an improvement to your social life that you may no longer want the testicular implants and the mammaplasty.

Before making an appointment with Choreboy, you should hire the best anesthesiologist you can find.

Reply to
Sawney Beane

Sawney Beane

If they willy nilly take our posts we may be able to incorporate a message showing how we - as a group find the whole thing distasteful and also making subscribers aware that the forums are stealing our posts from Usenet. A bit like I am doing now!

Reply to
Mrs Bonk

I appreciate your posting on this matter Gregory. Regarding the legalities, the posts may or may not be owned by anyone but if the content had for instance, a libel by a poster and was then deleted from Usenet and Google but not from the forum as the OP may not be aware it was there, then I wonder how the forum and the OP would stand up in court.

Reply to
Mrs Bonk

I believe Choreboy lost his posting account. however, your reply would answer a few questions I had raised to myself. Everything is beginning to clear!

Reply to
Mrs Bonk

In all honesty, I don't think the forum owners notice, or even care. Geobaby is a site that harvests posts from parenting groups and many of us emailed the owner and complained, and put bold headers on posts to the attention of the group, to no avail.

Nan

Reply to
Nan

I see, it would appear that I've missed the boat. Thank you anyway Nan. Back to square one I go.

Reply to
Mrs Bonk

Just before Choreboy disappeared, he asked what you had done with Gary. Perhaps you could clear that up for us.

Reply to
Sawney Beane

I have been very concerned for Gary as he seems to have vanished from the face of Usenet as did the air hostess that used to post here and a couple of other very regular posters. Other valued people who shall remain nameless may not be posting in this group at this present time but at least they can be found via Google Groups. I do hope we don't have a Bermuda Triangle type phenomena going on in here.

Reply to
Mrs Bonk