Musty/Weird Old Smell in Wooden Kitchen Cupboards

Hi All-
I just moved into a rental apartment that has wood veneer kitchen cupboard doors, and plywood (?) interiors/shelves. The cupboards have been painted, aside from the underside of the drawers, but there's still a weird mustyish/ "old" smell. I've cleaned the cupboards with vinegar and water, then tried Lysol cleaner on them, but they still smell. Any suggestions??
Oh, and I know people say that the musty odour comes from moisture, but even the cupboards that are on the opposite wall from the sink and up high smell.
Any suggestions??
Thanks in advance!
Toad

Since you've cleaned them, I suggest setting a box of baking soda inside (open) to absorb odors. My grandma used to put some vanilla extract on cotton balls and would set them in her cupboards.
Nan