mold

There is a moldy, musty smell coming from our great room in the past week. We cannot find any outward signs of mold, either in the room itself or in the crwal/storage space that the room sits on. The room is insulated, but we kept the heat off for most of the winter to avoid heating costs (this was our first winter in the house, the previous owners kept it heated all year as far as we know). We've seen no signs of water or dampness (again, either in the room or underneath), the only source of moisture I can think of is from the washer/dryer in the hallway adjacent to the room -- but presumably there would be mold close by?
Is it possible that mold is underneath the carpet? If so, does this mean the carpet must be replaced? Does it also mean was must keep the room heated in future winters?
Thanks, Jeff
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
A hygrometer,(small and inexpensive), available at Radio Shack,etc., to measure the humidity in the room might help. It shouldn't be much over 40%. That may help somewhat in at least determining if moisture due to high humidity is a problem. You would want to correct the cause of the problem before replacing the carpet. Would you be able to lift the carpet to see if there is any mold under it? Is the dryer vented out to the roof? S
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Hi Jeff
Are you sure your smelling a mold smell, or is it more like a damp earth smell?
Because I worked in greenhouses for a good portion of my life and come from an area that is predominantly full basements and recently moved to an area where most of the homes have dirt crawl spaces underneath, perhaps I noticed the difference more easily than most. Almost every home in this new area I live, if the room is not ventilated (heated or cooled), to me, it has that definate damp earth smell, that people who live here don't easily recognize and think its mold.
If you have access to an ozone generator, perhaps you could put that in the room (unoccupied) for a few days set on high.
TTUL Gary
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.