Mattress Cleaning NOT Stains Though

Hi All,
I have a spare mattress and box spring that has been in a room that is basically a workshop. It is in good shape except that it was left uncovered while various dust producing projects have gone on in the room. (Yes, dumb I know) I would like to now use/move the mattress to my guest bedroom but I would like to clean it of any dust/airborne particles it may have accumulated. Does anyone have any tips for this? Obviously I would start with a good vacuming with an upholstery attachment but I'm more concerned with what has settled below the surface. People with allergies maybe sleeping on it and I'd like it to be as dust free as possible. Has anyone ever steam cleaned a mattress similarly to what one would do with furniture or drapes? Can this even be done? Of course it will be covered with a mattress pad but embeded dust is still a histimine to someone with sensitive allergies.
Thanks.
Please e-mail direct snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net

If you're UK based, try 'The Mattress Doctor':
http://www.matdoc.co.uk
I have no connexion with them, but found them excellent.
Hi Jen
Take it outside, stand it on end, and beat the ever lovin' clack out of it. Then vacuum over both surfaces real well with a vacuum. If you want to get the internal dust out, you will need to make a small slit in the edge at the foot and stick your crevice tool in there and work it back and forth. This is assuming a spring mattress with only batting on each surface, rather than a solid cotton layered mattress.
TTUL Gary
On 26 Feb 2004 01:17:11 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (Jen) wrote:

Why not vacuum it and beat it as well as you can and then encase it completely in a waterproof mattress cover? There are covers available that are water and dust proof, but are not crackly plastic.
But I'm sorry, I don't email direct. Only post to the newsgroup so all can share information.
Thank you all so much. I'm not in the UK but Mattress Doctor is a great site. I wish we had that here.
Thanks,
Jen