marker on fabric

hello, what's the best thing to do about my son's quilt? it has a couple of spots of texta on it, but i have no idea what kind, & would like to treat the spots properly before washing (so that they come out, rather than stay there forever).
i'm quite sure it's not permanent, but they have some markers which wash out without any particular treatment, & some that apparently don't. should i, on balance, pre-treat with methylated spirits or something beforehand? the fabric is cotton, fwiw.
many thanks! kylie
--
www.rdj.com.au

there
out
on
I'm not sure what Texta is but it seems a name for a marker?
Anyway, try acetone first, simply add a few drops to the area and it should start working almost immediately, so put some absorbent cloths behind.
If that doesn't work then try looking on www.DrClean.co.uk/surgery_stains/stain_framepage.asp and click through to the ink stain. It gives a number of solutions with methods for different inks.
Hope this helps -- DrClean www.DrClean.co.uk The Best Fabric Cleaning Resource on the Web
Try "Ink Away" it's by far the BEST product for ink and marker spot removal!! I have had luck finding it at Ben Franklin stores-or on line-It's made by the makers of "Goo-Gone"!
Sijka

there
out
on