limecale remover damage

I north London here the water is quite hard (i.e. a lot of chalk in it), so we easily get limescale build up in the bend of the wc bowl.
Using Harpic Limescale Remover has shifted most of it, but that seems to have left the porcelain area under water a kind of a dirty colour. I then used a lot more Harpic, but nothing has improved. Although it does seem to come off a bit with lots of hard brushing. Anyone any idea if this Harpic could be causing this?
On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 11:06:15 GMT, "torge conrad maguar"

Empty the water out the pan then use the limescale remover again
On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 11:06:15 GMT, "torge conrad maguar"

easily dissolved ones leaving a harder one behing. You removed it with hard brushing.

Acid, including vinegar, dissolve lime. Bleach could be used to remove iron stains. Frank

Harpic used to advertised it's toilet cleaner (post 1940s) under the heading "Clean around the bend".
Unfortunately that expression was also used to describe (slangily) someone with a mental problem! Politically incorrect perhaps!
So instead of saying, as we might today "He/she is nuts" or "Like crazy, man" the Harpic expression was sometimes used as a nickname!
PS. What's that other cleaner advertised on TV as a rust, lime,scale remover? Something like RLS or RSL ??????

That would be CLR (Calcium, Lime, Rust) which is a very good recommendation because it is non-abrasive and will not scratch smooth surfaces. Empty the bowl and apply the product full strength (only a small amount is needed). I apply CLR with an old toothbrush around the faucet seat where hard water buildup can occur. Rinse with cool water after 1 minute. There are similar products under various names.
Terry,
CLR is a common cleaner in the US for this.
Dave M.

thanks to all. i've never seen CLR here in the u.k. would anyone translate what it is, and would it be good for my application? Other wise i see myself getting the water out of the bend (any tips on the best way to do this other than spooning it up?) and using the harpic limescale remover.

I have used muriatic acid,
first plunge toilet, then sponge remaining water out of bend.
then pour most of acid down overflow tube in tank. this cleans the interior toilet passages espically around the bowl rim. do you have brown deposits around rim that clogs the holes and causes poor flushes?
pour remaing acid in bend area wait say 15 minutes and flush noramally say 10 times to dilute and move along any remaining acid.
use normal safety precautions open bathroom window. wear safety glasses, pour acid into water NEVER water into acid, wear rubber gloves avoid splashing, and take deep breathe, apply acid, get out of room and close door promptly.
wait the time which gives acid time to work.
this is espically effective for toilets where the water swirls but solids dont go down well.
Not long ago I fixed a friends toilet that had been broke over 2 years in 15 minutes.
the acid dissolves the hard water sediment
On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 09:37:12 GMT, "torge conrad maguar"

the water is out or soaked into the towel/mop. Dry bowel with tissue. Apply limescale remover. Wait. Wash off and check results.
Harpic (or other brands) will help keep your pan clear of limescale if applied regularly but it doesn't work too well under water to remove existing scale.
torge conrad maguar wrote:

Use a pumice stone.
It works and alot cheaper than the chemicals. :-)

Have you tried cola? Sounds daft but I pushed out most of the water with the loo brush and filled with cola. Did it when I went to work, flushed when I came home...and voila...a clean loo bowl. Have used white vinegar in the past as well, works well.

Have you tried cola? Sounds daft but I pushed out most of the water with the loo brush and filled with cola. Did it when I went to work, flushed when I came home...and voila...a clean loo bowl. Have used white vinegar in the past as well, works well.
Thanks for all suggestions. With regard to the pumice stone idea, surely that would take the gloss of the glaze?
torge conrad maguar wrote:

You'd think so, but no it really doesn't. You can always to a test patch if you're not a believer :-)
Limescale aka calcium carbonate (CaCO3) aka Rolaids.
Use hydrochloric acid (HCl) to dissolve it into calcium chloride (aka road salt).