Laundry falling apart

Recently we have been noticing that our clothes are starting to fall apart. It's like the material is getting very week and you can just put your finger right through. It's even been happing to our towels that are less than 6 months old. Does anyone know what might cause this. We typically do not use bleach. I was wondering if it could be from the laundry soap or the washer or dryer. Any help would be appreciated.
On 27 Jul 2006 13:12:47 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@lucent.com wrote:

Could be a variety of things. I noticed that my jeans don't last the way they did many years ago when fabrics were made stronger. Hot water, what is washed with the clothes, harsh detergents, fabric softeners, hot dryers, etc are hard on fabrics.
Phisherman wrote:

I guess alkalinity. Some detergents are less alkaline than others. High alkalinity can help detergent sales by getting cloth cleaner, but it can cause cotton, polyester, and nylon to deteriorate. I wonder if the old formulas, with phosphates, were less alkaline.