Laundering an Afghan

I have a hand-knitted Afghan blanket that I would like to clean, but I am afreaid of doing damage to it in the washing machine and dryer. Obviously, it has no cleaning care tag.
It was knitted by a relative that is no longer with us, so I _really_ don't want to take any chance of damaging it.
Can I put it in the washing machine? Delicate cycle?
Thanks for any help
Jim Helfer Pittsburgh PA Go Stillers !

oooooh I think it really depends on what yarn has been used. I've crocheted a few dog blankets with mixed yarn leftovers that have washed and dried well in a machine. I've also done a few in pure wool that have machine washed well but I wouldn't dare use any heat for drying. Any precious work I always hand wash, pin to shape and dry flat.

I wash my wool afghan (made by my mother who is now gone) in the washing machine delicate cycle using Woolite. I found that I needed to run the afghan through another cycle just to rinse the excess soap and the perfume left from the Woolite. Lay the afghan flat to dry, a table fan helps. Hanging up a wet wool item may stretch it out of shape. Keep heat off wool fabrics.

am
Obviously,
don't
Thank you very much!
JIm

Depends on the yarn. I wash acrylic afghans in the washer; dry in dryer. If you know it's wool, I'd have it drycleaned. But that's just me.
--
-Barb

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 20:10:32 -0500, Melba's Jammin'

Go easy. Yarn scraps may be of many different compositions. Dry clean (with warnings to the proprieter) or wash carefully in cold water with Woolite or something similar. Line dry or spread on a bush. The *delicate* cycle on my washer sounds pretty vigorous to me. If I really liked the afghan, I'd take the trouble to wash it in sink or bathtub. If I wanted to be shed of future difficulties, I'd machine-wash and say "uh-oh" if it came apart.