Keeping hardwoods looking new

I have a beautiful, multi-level home that I just refinished all the hardwood floors in. Not only are there a lot of levels, but each room is fairly small. My standard, upright vacuum cleaner keeps marking up the walls every time I attempt to move it from room to room, not to mention that it's a pain to maneuver it around! With all the dust that collects, I NEED to clean the floors often- can anyone suggest any other appliances I can use to keep the new finish "new??"

A dust mop?
DennisZerillo wrote:

Then you should be able to afford a house cleaner to come in once a week.
On Tue, 17 May 2005 20:59:06 GMT, DennisZerillo

A broom? More seriously, is the vacume marking up the walls when you're carrying it from place to place, or when you're trying to use it? If the latter, why isn't your baseboard taking the hits? That's what it's for.
On Tue, 17 May 2005 20:59:06 GMT, DennisZerillo

A Dustbuster for the dust and fur, a broom for the sand and grit, and a Swiffer to finish off.
Add strategically-place rugs (eg. at the entry ways) to trap dirt and grit which acts as sandpaper on the floors when people walk on it.

Get a Swiffer, and a few air purifiers for the largest rooms. We bought two of these: (Amazon.com product link shortened) and they cut our dust levels *way* down.
Hello, if I had beautiful hardwood floors, I'd have folks park their shoes at the door. This stops a fair amount of dirt in its track. This has been recommended for people with allergies. Ocassionally you can slide with dust cloths under socks. Mom used to say we could play this way but I knew we were cleaning.
DennisZerillo wrote:

Roombas?
(Okay, what's the plural of Roomba? Roombi?}
On Tue, 17 May 2005 20:59:06 GMT, DennisZerillo

Add my vote for a dustmop.
Purchase a high-quality dustmop from a janitorial supply house. You'll be amazed how quickly and easily the floor can be cleaned without scratches, cords, noise, or stirring up dust. I have wall-to-wall carpeting and I envy you. I have used an oiled dustmop intended for bowling alleys and it was great (my father used to own a bowling alley).
On Tue, 17 May 2005 20:59:06 GMT, DennisZerillo

DennisZerillo wrote:

I'd say Murphy's Oil Soap and some kneepads. Mine are in great shape, and they're roughly 64 years old now.

Keep in mind, even if you never walked on them, there will be some aging of the color over time.