Is bleach weaker today?

Has anyone else observed that laundry bleach seems to be weaker than it was 20 years ago?
Donna

Don't know about that, Donna, but it still smells as bad.
-- Piper
Donna wrote:

It has a limited shelf life. It used to be 5.25% because that concentration had a good shelf life. Now it's usually 6%. I think manufacturing had improved so that the stronger concentration had an adequate shelf life, and it saved on shipping weight.
My last bottle was a discount brand. In time it got very weak. My new bottle, another discount brand, is much more potent, but I just noticed the concentration is not stated on the label. That convinced me to buy name-brand bleach in the future.
On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 18:51:31 -0500, Sawney Beane

is a thick bleach. I can't recall using the thick one twenty years ago
awhile back I purchased bleach at Costco. They came in a set of 2 gallon plastic containers. My utility room is small and lacks much space so I poured some of the bleach from the gallon bottle into a smaller gal bleach bottle. That way I could store on the floor next to the washing machine. Well I do not use bleach all that often. When I finally picked up that small bottle the vinyl floor is totally stained yellow as if the bleach had leached onto the floor. Luckily it not an area in direct vision
Muvin wrote:

I have had bleach kept a long (really long) time sort of eat through the plastic bottle a little bit. Now when I store it in the cupboard I put the bottle into a larger plastic bowl---sort of as a coaster. Now, having heard your experience, I think I'll start storing it in the garage.
Donna
replying to Donna, tom tulinsky wrote:

It seems to me it is. I had a spot on a knit cotton shirt that wouldn't come out. I thought , a white spot would be better than a dark spot, so first I put on the pencil bleach spot remover--no effect. Then I poured pure household bleach on it, let it soak--still no effect. When I was a kid (60s-70s) I remember bleach could make holes in cloth. People splashed bleach on jeans on purpose and it made spots that were totally white.