I'm sure it's been asked before........

Hi as the topic line suggests I'm sure it's been asked before........but as 'm new to this NG and I dont see any FAQ's then here goes Looking for a fly catching/killing remedy that does not use chemicals and also I want to remove some grease marks off painted walls. All suggestions gratefully recieved TIA

Reply to
Fixer

I think there's something called a fly trap that consists of a sort of bottle with either sugar water or some sort of hormone lure inside. The flys can get in but can't figure out how to get out. If I'm right -- if these things do exist -- you should be able to find them at lots of stores (grocery, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc.).

There's also the glue strips that hang from the ceiling, but those are kinda gross.

I'll let someone else address the grease marks. I'd just use

409 (or something similar).
Reply to
Suzie-Q

before........but as

The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is pretty good for cleaning grease marks on painted surfaces. If you have flat paint, it probably won't come completely clean.

Reply to
Vox Humana

i've always found that once i get the fly swat out & start going at them (flies, not grease spots) the remaining flies sense that their number is up & head outside.

or it could just be that 5 flies in a room _seems_ like twenty. kylie

Reply to
0tterbot

'm new to this NG and I dont see any FAQ's then here goes Looking for a fly catching/killing remedy that does not use chemicals and also I want to remove some grease marks off painted walls. All suggestions gratefully recieved TIA

A fly swatter. TSP for greasy walls; buy it in the paint section.

Reply to
Phisherman

You can make a syrup of corn syrup, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. You may have to heat it. You cut a strop of paper and tie a string to it. You lay the paper out and apply the syrup to one side. Let it dry a day or so. Hang it up.

One made a traditional fly trap by putting water with a little dishwashing detergent in the bottom of a jar. Then make a paper cone a little bigger than the mouth of the jar. Snip a hole in the tip of the cone. Smear something meaty on the outside of the cone. Then put the cone into the mouth of the jar with the point down. The meaty side will be in the jar. The flies go down through the hole to get the meat, but if it's small they can't fly up through it. Eventually they fall into the water and drown.

The detergent helps the water drown the flies. A teaspoon of vegetable oil may work better. The oily film will drown flies that fall into the water.

There's a way to make a trap from a plastic milk jug.

Another fly trap uses a quarter cup each of vinegar and sugar dissolved in water in the bottom of a jar. Then you make a couple of holes in the lid to let flies in.

Reply to
Barbecue Bob

So that's your secret to making world [in]famous bug juice!

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

For fly's outdoors: Fill a jar half full of water and add some meat. Drill a few holes in the top big enough for flies to get in. Hang it away from the patio, back door or wherever you hang out because it smells BAD! The rotting dead flies will keep attracting more flies. Then, hang a fly strip somewhere near the door to catch the few errant flies. I have done this for years and never see a fly, although the jars are always full when I go to put more water in them. Now...if there was something like that for mosquitoes!

I have to swear by the Mr. Clean eraser. It has removed stains that harsh chemicals couldn't budge. My friend uses a tiny piece of a new one on her teeth weekly. Not recommending it though. :-)

Reply to
The Data Rat

i have a recipe for fly repellent and another for flypaper, if you should want it. "Fixer" wrote in message news:caq8eo$nmj$ snipped-for-privacy@news6.svr.pol.co.uk... Hi as the topic line suggests I'm sure it's been asked before........but as 'm new to this NG and I dont see any FAQ's then here goes Looking for a fly catching/killing remedy that does not use chemicals and also I want to remove some grease marks off painted walls. All suggestions gratefully recieved TIA

Reply to
Anita