I'm so angry!

I just read the new US News and Report and a poll indicated that women spend on average 358 hours cleaning (per year not lifetime). UGH! I want to throw something.
That comes to less than 7 hours a week. Doesn't sound so terrible to me. You can't extrapolate a lot from a bare statistic like that. How many of those women are singles or single moms, how many have 4 or more kids, how many of their husbands spend as much or more time doing yard and repair work... Oh, a whole bunch of things.
Don't know about you, but I'd rather do housework than mow the lawn or fix the car.
Laura
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 21:03:33 GMT, Puddin Pop

I wonder is that includes laundry, dishes, and clean-up after meal prep?
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 21:03:33 GMT, Puddin Pop sayeth:

Yes and my Husband this week told me I do *NOTHING*. Just on call 24/7 whenever he wants something you know. Fetching beers and coffees, ironing and doing laundry. I was too pissed off even to reply. I just left it.

That is less than one hour per day. Doesn't seem excessive to me.
snipped-for-privacy@Prodigy.com says...

Well, at least it's less than an hour a day. I would have thought it would be more. But still... Did it say how much the average man cleaned each year? Did it include doing the laundry as cleaning?
If you're going to throw something, I'd throw money at it. Work harder, earn more, then pay some other woman to do the cleaning.
Or buy a robot vacuum to do some of the cleaning. There's one out now called a Roomba that seems to do a good job from what I've heard.

want
You're better off paying a man and getting the job done properly.

women
I can see you've never lived in Ohio, California or Tennessee!

Yikes! I probably dust 2 or 3 times a month, about an hour per month. I have two passive static furnace filters that I clean once a month and dry in the sun for a few hours. (My house is rather large so it has two furnaces and two A/Cs.) These filters (about $40 each) are much better than the paper throw-aways.

women
Paying someone to do a job and the statement "job done properly" can not be used in the same sentence in this day and age. Maybe "job done properly after they screw it up the first time and you make them do it over again" might work..
Sweep wrote:

Thank you.
Sincerely, Choreboy
One day a man comes home from work to find total mayhem at home! The kids were outside still in their pajamas playing in the mud and muck. There were empty food boxes and wrappers all around. As he proceeded into the house, he found an even bigger mess. Dishes on the counter, dog food spilled on the floor, a broken glass under the table, and a small pile of sand by the back door. The family room was strewn with toys and various items of clothing, and a lamp had been knocked over. He headed up the stairs, stepping over toys, to look for his wife. He was becoming worried that she may be ill, or that something had happened to her. He found her in the bedroom, still in bed with her pajamas on, reading a book. She looked up at him, smiled, and asked how his day went. He looked at her bewildered and asked, "What happened here today?" She again smiled and answered, "You know everyday when you come home from work and ask me what I did today?" "Yes," was his reply. She answered, "Well, today I didn't do it!".