i'm looking for a good mop/towel wringer!

Page 2 of 2

i'm tempted to make a device myself. knowing that i have a 50% chance of making it something i'm happy with vs. the 5% chance of being happy with the commercially available gadget-du-jour.
there may come a day when my inability to find floor happiness... will induce a "mental break". i imagine it have world-wide coverage and my family will be shamed. imagine a CRAZY woman running down a street with a microfiber mop, a semi-automatic weapon. she will be looking for a clock tower and shrieking something about "it's not dry enoooooooooough!" (if you look REALLY close... you'll see rope-y arms with claw-like hands attached) ;)

i was DAZZLED. (think fish/shiny object dazzled) ;)
i would have used the equally technical term "lever-pedal-thingy". ;)
--
Debbie Keith
2002 Daytona
Debra Keith wrote:

Thanks to your advertising, Ace Hardware just jumped the price to $27.
I used to mop a lot and found that kind of bucket ideal. I don't mop much these days, but I have borrowed a wringer bucket like that from a relative and it worked as well as ever. When that bucket wasn't available, I had to borrow a much more expensive Rubbermaid bucket with a lever squeezer. It didn't wring as well.
I think you're putting too much weight on the lever. Most of my weight goes on the other foot, the one that holds the bucket down. As I recall, I press the lever with my toe while my heel rests on the floor.
I'm not familiar with your mop. A good string mop works well with a roller wringer and will leave a floor almost dry.

i think i just had the wrong mop for the hardware. it IS a fine product. :)
someday i'll invent the perfect kitchen wringer. you will see my name!! necessity... mother of invention and all!
:)
--
Debbie Keith
2002 Daytona

they
Well, the microfiber vileda mop I bought yesterday is not a flat one, but a string one. I looked at the flats but just couldn't bring myself to buy one. They looked too much like swiffers, and to do my house with a swiffer or even a sponge mop would be exhausting, plus I don't see how one could get the power behind it that I get with swinging a string mop. I'm quite happy with my new mop, it gets down into the grout and scrubs it out so much better than anything else I've tried. And there is no streaking. It's a bit wearing and awkward to wring it out though. I think they need to work on the self-wringing design of the thing. Sue D.

we ARE creatures of habit. huh? ;)
vileda makes a good product. offspring of o cedar... WHICH makes our lives easier. ;)
wringing issues. aaaaah.
today the bucket wringer went back and i KNEW i had to mop.
while i was at the store yesterday, i ran to the auto department. they had a bundle of 8 microfiber towels for $4!!!!! this SAME bundle would cost me $16 in the cleaning department!!!
i guess if your focus is CLEANING then you must already KNOW the value of the microfiber... and if your focus is mechanical soundness... then you must be lured by a low price!!!!
it felt WRONG! so, KNOW that you can buy a microfiber hand towel for a fraction the cost in the auto department. (eyes rolling!)
i bought the bundle and washed them up. i threw them all in the sink filled with hot water and a bit of fabuloso. i then mopped my entire house of hard surfaces tossing the towels into the washer as i got new ones. (using only clean water each time).
i pinned the microfiber towels over the microfiber pad using clothes pins. the towels are less bulky and easier to wring by hand. when i used them on the pergo i added a step. they need to be very nearly dry for that task. the wringer didn't work and i REFUSE to spend what they WANT for a decent one!
i hand wrung the towel... (but not to the point of making my hand claw- like) and laid it on top of a bath towel (on the counter). then... i ran over it with the rolling pin! PERFECT!
it was the perfect combination of wet AND dry. i didn't spend a DIME and the hubby was TICKLED at the ingenuity. he's an engineer.... so problems-solving skills are an odd turn-on. ;)
i'm gonna keep my eye out for a cheap wringer. but for now... i'm happy. hell, i may mop again in the morning. ;)
btw... the pads for the mop are about $11. 50 cents for the towel is so lovely!!!
--
Debbie Keith
2002 Daytona