How well do Rug Doctors work?

My small apartment carpeting needs cleaning.
The local carpet cleaners here want a minimum of $90 just to show up! Ouch!!
I'm too cheap for that. So what abt doing it myself with a rental Rug Doctor from Walmart? I've never used one. Do they work well? easy to use, etc?
Or.... what abt just BUYING some kind of consumer level carpet cleaning machine? The Rug doctor from Walmart coast abt $30 per day but I've seen cheapie carpet cleaning machines in same store for abt $60.... I think?
Advice on all the above?
On Oct 2, 4:24 pm, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Save your back, and time and just pay the professionals. They get far better results in less time.

Ok thanks