How to get the stench out of fabric?

My husband has a walkman that you wear around your arm, and the armband has been soaked with sweat enough times to really reek. We've tried soaking it in some Tide, but that hasn't helped get rid of the stench. Any suggestions?
Karen

Borax (Mule Team) added to the soak will help. Use vinegar in the rinse water.