How to get rid of yellow jacket bee's nest ??

Page 2 of 4

And what about his grass plant, that will be dead too.
Why do all of you assume there is a "hole" ???? Most likely, it is a big nest, built inside the sawgrass.
On 9/4/10 7:48 PM, James wrote:

it takes only a tablespoon of gasoline. Sometimes waiting until sunset has helped me locate holes, but papas grass could make it tough.
You could wait until dark and toss a piece of liver where you think the hole is. Liver attracts skunks. A skunk who finds the hole will destroy the nest.
Another trick is an electric bug zapper on a long pole. Stick it where you think the hole is and shake it until the yellow jackets attack it.
James wrote the following:

Because I had one in my compost heap. The entrance was right on top of the pile with what looked like a marbleized plastic spill around the hole. I saw the wasps entering and leaving the hole. Because mine was on top of a pile, I just dug it up with a pitch fork and destroyed it.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 9/4/2010 6:48 PM, James wrote:

because yellow jackets nest IN the ground.
--
Steve Barker

Not always. They'll build typical wasp's nests, on buildings, trees, and such, too.

Find the entrance. Get your Wet Vac out and place the suction hose close to the entrance. Turn the vacuum on and go get a cup of coffee. Read the newspaper.Get the aerosol hornet killer out and shoot a small amount into the still running suction hose. Place the hose back at the entrance. Go get another cup of coffee. Repeat as necessary.
First, use a little care.
Yellowjackets start with one queen at the beginning of the year, the rest die during the winter. By the end of August the colony is generally about 1500. The fatal dose (assuming no allergies) is between 500 and 1000 for the average human. So, do the math!
Living in Virginia, I usually find one nest a year while mowing the lawn. I think they start in a mole tunnel then dig it out.
I kill them with soapy water. I set a couple five gallon pails of water and laundry soap near the hole, wait until dark, and pour it in. No risk like with gasoline or pesticides. I've never had this method fail, though I've sometimes had to do it a couple of times. It took a little nerve the first time, I thought they might wake and come flying out the hole, but that's never happened.

One can kill. Do the math.

That's an excellent idea. Begnign, too. I'll file that one away.
On 9/4/2010 12:16 PM, James wrote:

the ground before they get to the nest, here anyway. Spraying with or trying to fill their hole(s) with water doesn't generally get rid of them either. Pouring, quite a bit of, gasoline or kerosene down the hole near or after dark and ingniting it from a safe distance works. Don't wait a half hour after pouing the gas though. The stuff will woomph all around you. You might just get singed.
On 9/4/2010 11:46 PM, lil abner wrote:

About a dozen people have suggested the 'cleansing fire' solution in this thread, just like all the times before when somebody has asked about the same problem. Just like before, it is a dumb idea, and can get you in trouble with the law for putting the ground water at risk. Doesn't matter if it works, the downside is too large.
I know, playing with fire is fun, but you can't buy real M-80s any more either.
--
aem sends...

On 9/4/2010 11:57 PM, aemeijers wrote:

You don't use enough gasoline to fill a well. A quart or so is generally all it will take but I have seen a nest that was over 5 ft deep.
lil abner wrote the following:

I guess he says the same about having an asphalt driveway on your property,
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

There is a law that says you cannot put gasoline into the ground and another that frowns heavily on arson.

Ask your local EPA droids or your fire marshal about that.
On 9/5/2010 1:47 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

You're not serious?

Ask your fire marshal about dumping gasoline on the ground and lighting it.

Right after you ask yer mommy if you can come out and play.
nb

You would think about your mommy, nutjob.

All day long, 24/7. She has alzheimers and I care for her.
nb
On 9/5/10 12:04 AM, lil abner wrote:

Why light it? When you pour the gas down the hole, the fumes will displace the air, so the fire won't go down the hole. The soil will keep the heat away from the nest.
I have found that the fumes from a tablespoon of gasoline will kill a nest. I imagine soil organisms can soon break down that small amount.