How often do you clean washing machines?

Just curious how often people clean their washing machines. Also what do you use to clean them?
Karen
I use spray and wipe for the top and around the door - we have a front loader.

Oh, maybe I should clarify--I meant the inside of the machine.
Thanks, -K

Never. It's never been dirty. Granted, I don't have kids, so I don't have washes full of muddy clothes, but if I did, I'd hose the mud off in the yard first.
I always leave it open to dry to avoid mildew. I don't use liquid fabric softeners because their residues make fabric go up like flash paper instead of burning slowly, should you accidentally get it too close to a flame. I only fill it loosely to the top of the holes, so it doesn't slop dirty water up on the rim of the basket.
All I use is All/Cheer/Tide "free & clear" liquid, whichever happens to be cheapest when I need to buy more, with a few scoops OxiClean to soak whites and sometimes a scoop in other loads, and occasional Spray&Wash Stain Stick rubbed on stains.
--
jamie ( snipped-for-privacy@newsguy.com)

"There's a seeker born every minute."
OK, I feel better. I asked because a co-worker was telling me about cleaning the inside of her washing machine and I thought to myself, "I've never done that. Do I need to? Is that really disgusting not to?" LOL
Karen

What type of spray do you use?
What name?
It's called "Spray & Wipe" - an Australian brand name. I'm sure you have the equivalent wherever you are. It's milder than Ajax but gets rid of grease etc.

I wipe the washer top, rim, top and back of the machine with a slightly damp rag once or twice a month. This picks up all the dust and any spill marks. I vacuum around the machine once a month using a crevice tool.
I don't. I do wipe the top if its getting gunky. Same with the dryer. Also, I do clean the air hose for the dryer, at least once a year.