How much to pay teenage house cleaner?

Oh sorry, it's not unfounded, nor was it an "attack". You said, and I quote...
" Remember the three most efficient forms of communication: telephone, telegraph and tell-a-woman."

Hahaha, yeah, sure. No, I'm just well aware that more stay at home parents happen to be female, and the stay at home parent is likely to be the one seeking part time or temporary employment.
Bzzt! Try again.
Nan
"Well" (as you might say) " I once heard of a man that stayed home"
As you know it is the exception that proves the rule. The fact that you know of a few teen agers that you would ask to do farm work, shows that almost all of them, you wouldn't hire. If you would hire only a few of them to work in your barn, how many fewer would you allow to handle your great-grandmother's wedding vase?
The telephone joke is imbedded in our society. It was old when I heard it 30 years ago. (notice the word telegraph) Quoting it is no more sexist than tha lady at our post office who insists on being called postmaster.
Who said anything about stay at home parents? You have inadvertantly stumbled to the very core of my point. Part-time, temporary, or, just people that do not need to do the work will be less likely to be dedicated to the job. (except, of course for that one person that you heard someone tell you that they heard that somebody elses second cousin once say that they heard about.)

I happen to know several, but the majority are women. You chose to make an issue of my saying "the mom".

The phrase was "farm out" work, not "farm work". Your arguement is pointless considering I don't know "all" teenagers.

Of course it's sexist. Only a sexist idiot wouldn't think so.

You've been carrying on about hiring an adult over a teen. There just aren't that many adults around that can afford to take on cleaning jobs such as Bill was proposing. The pay rate would be too low, and the income not steady enough. Hence, my comment about it being only part-time work.
Nan
Dear Bill,
Hiring unstable people of any age, sex, ethnicity, waist size, or eye color is bad
Unstable people are generally easy to spot.
1) They don't need the money for any number of reasons, like a)Someone else is taking care of them financially 1)parents 2)welfare 3)spouse 2)They don't take the job seriously,like a)They call it temporary b)you are the only client

On the other hand, someone with 2 kids, a car payment and a mortgage can't rely on sub-wages to meet those bills, and may be more likely to find other, better paying work.
Nan
Dear Bill,
A high quality, full time cleaning person (of any sex) won't under charge you. If they need $19.00/hr to make ends meet, they will charge you at least $19.
Someone who dabbles in cleaning, for fun, or for a while, will make up a good sounding number, and probably be upset about it later.
Look for someone who cleans, and has done nothing but clean for a few years now. they got that way by showing up.

But you already know Bill won't pay that high. He didn't want to shell out the $$ for a cleaning service, and didn't want to "overpay" a teenager to do his work.
You're wasting your typing.
Nan
Dearest Nan,
Only you have assumed that Bill is a cheap B*. His first stated concern was that he wanted her to get enough. He stated that he did not wish to hire an "impersonal" cleaning service, net an "expensive" cleaning service.
Perhaps you have a bias against people that have money to spend.
J.

Dearest dense person,
I've cut and pasted the second paragraph of Bill's OP for you. Please read for comprehension:
<<What's the going hourly rate for a teenage girl to do basic house cleaning? I don't want to overpay, but I definately want her to get enough, because I don't want her to quit and have to hire an impersonal cleaning service.>>
His first stated concern is that he doesn't want to overpay, then that he wants her to get enough so she doesn't quit and he'll have to hire a (more expensive) impersonal cleaning service.
Nan
Please get me a pair of your x-ray glasses. I, too want to see things that aren't there. Thank you for the cut-n-paste that verifies that YOU MADE UP THE WHOLE THING ABOUT EXPENSE. It isn't there. It only exists within the parenthesis, where you put it. Perhaps we could help Bill, if we stuck to his real question.

You're such an idiot. Re-read Bill's post.
Oh, and you really should pay attention to your own advice. So far, all you've done is claim women and teenagers are beneath you.
Nan
I reread Bill's post. I reread the part where you added the word expensive. The word he uses is "impersonal".
I reread my advice. I reread where you added this "claim that women and teenagers are beneath (me)". I've haven't compared myself to anyone, in any response.
You have called me a bigot, idiot, sexist idiot, and a dense person. The name calling is getting old. I'd say it's childish, but suspect that you would accuse me of hating children, and wanting to poison their oatmeal.
This is a great NG, full of upbeat, friendly, funny, helpful people, except...
Please note, the last day for making up things and attacking me for them was yesterday. The deadline has passed. Go imagine things in other people's postings, and call them names.
Cheers! And have a great day
: wrote: : : >Please get me a pair of your x-ray glasses. I, too want to see things that : >aren't there. Thank you for the cut-n-paste that verifies that YOU MADE UP : >THE WHOLE THING ABOUT EXPENSE. It isn't there. It only exists within the : >parenthesis, where you put it. Perhaps we could help Bill, if we stuck to : >his real question. : : You're such an idiot. : Re-read Bill's post. : : Oh, and you really should pay attention to your own advice. So far, : all you've done is claim women and teenagers are beneath you. : : Nan : : :

Of course I added the word expensive it is in parenthesis, you will note.

You're the one that's made denigrating remarks about both: "teenagers (you related to both sexes in 2 posts) have the attention span of a crayon, girls only wish to go hang out at the mall, etc, etc, etc. And the "tell a woman" comment. Oh yeah, it was only a joke and everyone was supposed to know that you meant it in that spirit after you'd been condescending towards teenagers.

I never said you have. The fact remains that when someone denigrates entire groups of people (bigotry), they typically see themselves as above those groups they think so little of.

You've made bigoted comments. See above. Idiot and dense person weren't very nice, but you keep maintaining you're innocent and have been very nice. Give me a break.

You're the exception.

I have been ever since this thread started.
Get over yourself.
Nan, adding you to my sinbin.

appliances.
--
Barbecue Bob serving family-style roast bunny
at convenient restaurants

YOUR INSINUATION IS IRRESPONSIBLE AND DANGEROUS. 95% OF AMERICANS STRUCK BY LIGHTNING ARE NOT AT A GOLF COURSE. Think of all the readers who will be struck because they decided to go elsewhere on account of what they read here.
Of those struck at golf courses, almost all are struck because they STOPPED PLAYING AND SOUGHT SHELTER IN GOLF CARTS OR, LIKE COWS, UNDER TREES. Those rare individuals who continue to play and are struck anyway ARE STRUCK BECAUSE THEY HAVE BEEN TAUGHT TO SWING WITH THEIR LEGS APART. When a cross-legged stance becomes mandatory, several lives will be saved each year.
--
Barbecue Bob serving family-style roast bunny
at convenient restaurants
Thank-you Bob. I did not realize that I was inadvertantly advocating dangerous activities. Moo. Also, good detective work. you now know where I bought a replacement element for my ceramic top stove. (Burned out trying to pan fry a bunny)

No kidding (pun intended).
And when the cleaner *does* show up, it'll be with one or both of the kids in tow. If you're home, you get to babysit (if you want any cleaning to get done). If you're not home, well, better hope that your home contains nothing either hazardous to children or breakable, and that your pets don't mind being "played with" -- whatever THAT may mean to those particular kids.
Of course, if the kids include any teenagers, *they* will be brought along on all school breaks to "help" with the cleaning. And then, depending on the particular teenager (and allow me to point out that YOU didn't meet, much less interview, the teenager, only Mom) perhaps they'll be back later, withOUT Mom but instead with a friend or two, to do a little extra cleaning... cleaning out your jewelry, electronics, etc.
This is the voice of bitter experience speaking. On BOTH counts. And it didn't help in the least that I had been very clear and very specific at the time I hired the cleaners in question that there were NOT to be kids brought along to work -- that if it came down to cancelling or bringing the kids, I expected them to cancel. In both cases, as soon as they felt confident that I wouldn't be home when they were scheduled to clean, they started bringing the kids.
(The surprising part was that after the burglary, not only did the sheriff's department actually recover a few of our stolen items AND identify one of the kids that did it -- but the cleaner 'fessed up when I went to give her a new house key that the kid caught was her daughter's boyfriend. Then strangely enough, 2 weeks later she asked me to write a character reference letter to the judge sentencing that same daughter -- whom I had incidentally never met -- on an unrelated auto theft she and the boyfriend had [also] done. Go figure.)
-- Michelle
Please, Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Pets Die.