How do you vacuum an oriental rug?

I was told one should turn it upside down and vacuum, then turn it right side up and vacuum again. Seems strange. What say you?

I just use the vacuum cleaner on it like any other rug. Maybe the advice you got was for a once a year cleaning. Few people could mover all the furniture and turn a room-size rug over every few days.