how do I clean urine stain on underside of plastic toilet seat?

I have plastic toilet seats. There is a yellow urine stain on the underside of the toilet seat from backsplash. I can't remove it! I've tried cleaner with bleach and that takes care of most of it, but not All of it. I would love to take a scrub brush to it, but don't know what is safe to use on the plastic. If I use a regular hand held scrub brush, do I have to keep it for just this use exclusively? And once I get the stain removed, how often am I supposed to clean the toilet seat to keep it from coming back?

Reply to
pfb123

It doesn't come off with water, needs some chemical attack. I've used mild lye solution. First, spray water on the area. Apply lye solution (1/4 tsp of lye into a cup of water) with a brush, wait a few minutes, rinse (water spray again) and mop dry. Rinse out your cloth and the brush, or lye will attack it. And use gloves, of course.

I don't know what the stuff is, but the lye treatment seems to only be necessary a couple of times a year (soapy water is the usual cleaning medium). My seats are painted, so the paint will soften if I overdo the lye (but plastic is not affected).

Reply to
whit3rd

Ick. Why not just buy new seats? For the cost of what hasn't worked so far, you could probably replace the seats.

Reply to
kara849

With wooden ones.

Reply to
aspasia

You could try white vinegar to clean it. Put it on neat with a cloth and leave it, then wash off with hottish water. You should clean your toilet and seat daily to keep it clean!!!

Reply to
bograt101

You can go to a discount store and buy a new toilet seat for about $20-$30. I really do recommend a good quality thick hard plastic---not padded plastic or the flimsy ones hotels use. I favored wood forever, until I had to buy plastic one time, and I really wouldn't go back to wood. The plastic cleans more easily. The cleaning process eventually causes the underside of a wooden seat to deteriorate, and at that point the wood becomes more porous and harder to clean.

I raised two sons, so I could probably be paid as an expert witness. :-)

Warmest Regards,

Donna

Reply to
Donna in Texas

I tried all the recomendations on this web site and used the good old Brillo pad and it removed all stains.u

Reply to
robsonsusan2

I know the post is a month old, but...

Try muriatic acid (also known as HCl). Big-box stores typically sell it in 1 gallon plastic jugs, usually as a pool supply. It's strong stuff, but it has a lot of uses. Can remove soap and water calcification on ceramic bathtubs and sinks and stainless steel sinks very easily. I use it full strength (take a paper towel, hold it against the open mouth of the jug and invert the jug a few times, then wipe the surface with the wet paper towel). Will give off some strong fumes, will sting any open cuts on your hands or finger tips but other than that it's harmless. Just rinse with water.

Removes rust very quickly - I soak a lot of rusted screws and stuff in a mix of hot water and muriatic acid. It's about the only thing that can remove dried cat pee stains from a variety of surfaces (plastic, laminates, etc).

Reply to
Home Guy

Hi I had the same problem, believe me like you I tried everything. The soluti on is in our kitchen cupboards not expensive products. All you will need is white vinger & bicarbonated soda. Take 3 table spoons of bicarbonated soda & mix it with the vinger, until you get a thick paste. The vinger mixture will fizz but its 100% safe. Using a toothbrush rub in to the stain, a litt le elbow greece is needed but with in minutes you will see visual results. Leave paste on for 5-10 minutes and wipe clean. Amazing results before you r eyes. Ive just tried the above and I can proudly put my seat up :) Give i t a go n let me know, once a month should be great no more stains.

Reply to
bana197878

Hey use bicarbonate sodda n white vinger. Make in to a thick paste and apply with tooth brush to seat. Rub in and be amazed. Leave 5 mins or a bit longer snd clean off. White n as new!

Reply to
bana197878

What I found to get rid of the urine stains under the seat is to gently clean the area with wire wool. I got mine from Lidl (Aquapur) as it's not too abrasive and it did the trick very well. Happy scrubbing gently gently remember.

Reply to
sally.malcolm

Go to family dollar and get MEAN GREEN It works wonders on just about anything

Reply to
RAIN

Hi, I took the seat off and soaked it in a large tub of hot water and very concentrated vanish napisan oxi action. It's enzyme not bleach based powder. Guess what? Sparkly white seat. Can't believe it. If you saw how filthy it was, it's quite remarkable. No scrubbing, spraying, and the whole seat gets the whole clean at same time. Nice.

Reply to
Eureka

Thank you so much. I thought I had tried everything but obviously not as this worked. I don't know how to take the toilet seat off this one as it is different to our old one, so I put the Vanish Napisan into a bowl with hot water and made a sort of runny paste wiped it on with a damp cloth and let it sit for about 10 minutes. I then got a scourer and scrubbed. Now for the first time in a while I have a beautiful clean white seat.

Reply to
Bella

Vinegar doesnt work for t seat

Reply to
tracybelter

That's just incorrect. Sorry.

Reply to
jsw99com

replying to robsonsusan2, Tracy Needle wrote: Brillo pad absolutely genius

Reply to
Tracy Needle

replying to whit3rd, The know it all wrote: MR CLEAN scrubby pad werks realy good and or Last Resort option is sandpaper very fine sandpaper

Reply to
The know it all

replying to bana197878, pepsicola wrote: worked a treat although just used the vinegar i had in my cupboard

Reply to
pepsicola

replying to whit3rd, Belinda wrote: This worked fantasticly! I have discarded toilet seats because of this! I happened to have some food grade lye on hand and used that. Thanks for the tip.

Reply to
Belinda