Homemade glass cleaner SUX

    I was given a formula for a homemade glass cleaner, supposed to be better than any commercial brand. 16 oz. rubbing alcohol, 4 oz. sudsy ammonia, 1 teaspoon liquid dish detergent and enough water to complete a gallon of the solution. I even used distilled water. I tried it on the bathroom mirror. I had a hell of a time getting the off that it left. Any ideas?
On 28 Apr 2004 17:25:31 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comic (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

Hmmm.... I've been using that concoction for over 2 years now, and never have a problem. You could always try using a vinegar solution instead.
Nan
<< Hmmm.... I've been using that concoction for over 2 years now, and never have a problem. >> ____Reply Separator_____ I left the word "film" off my OP. Hell of a time getting the film off that it left. Is this the same proportions of the ingredients that you use??
On 28 Apr 2004 18:05:01 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comic (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

My recipe is:
One pint rubbing alcohol One cup ammonia (I don't use the sudsy type... maybe that's the problem for you?) One squirt dish liquid (I have found using too much dish soap can cause a little streaking), Water to fill gallon jug
I tend to use mine as more of an all-purpose cleaner than for windows, although it does great on the car windows. It's a great grease-cutter, and I need that, as my hubby is one messy cook <G>
Nan
(TOM KAN PA) wrote:

I use a few drops of dish detergent in very hot water. I use a fleece window swab and a squeegee. This is the best, easiest, and quickest way I have found to clean windows. I had a professional winder cleaner at my office who used a little TSP in the water. He also used a squeegee.

I hadn't thought of it, but I also use a squeegee when doing windows. I think that might be why I don't see much streaking or haze.
Nan
Hi Tom
I see two possible things wrong.
The first is using sudsy ammonia! The second is, you didn't say what kind of dishwashing liquid. There are tons of dishwashing liquids out there that have all kinds of hand lotions in them. The only two I ever use are Lemon Joy and Lemon Dawn, I think the Lemon Joy works best and the new Orange Joy follows a close second, even ahead of Lemon Dawn.
My formula to make 1 gallon of Window and all purpose cleaner, even works on smoke covered monitors is 1 (16oz) bottle of 91% Alcohol, 6 ounces BoPeep or equivalent clear ammonia, 1 teaspoon (5cc) Lemon or Orange Joy and 2 tablespoons (30cc) of white vinegar. Then top jug off with filtered water. I usually add 5 units or 2.5cc of blue colorant such as food color to distinguish this mixture from others I keep in the utility closet also.
TTUL Gary
Do you work for P&G perchance? Or other?
It is hell for companies when consumers learn how to outfox manufacturers.
On 28 Apr 2004 17:25:31 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comic (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 17:19:14 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Why, because some of us like to be frugal instead of paying for overpriced cleaners?

Yeah right. There are plenty of people out there that will buy every cleaner on the market. Our frugality isn't going to make a whit of difference to their bottom line.
Nan

I'm amazed when I browse the shelves at the supermarkets. I don't know if people are incredibly lazy or they are overly susceptible to slick marketing campaigns, but some of the strangest products are showing up in the cleaning product isle. You can buy paper towels (AKA, "wipes") moistened with vinegar! Who is so unimaginative or lazy that they couldn't moisten a paper towel with vinegar themselves rather than paying about $4 for a couple dozen vinegar soaked wipes? How about the new trend toward disposable toilet bowl brushes? Maybe I'm just lucky, but I can put a little ammonia into the toilet bowl and a few swishes later, the bowl is clean. I don't need special toilet cleaners or disposable brushes. I also don't understand the enthusiasm over the wet floor pads sold by Swiffer and others. They don't do a very good job, they are expensive, and they only clean 100 square feet = that's only a 10 x 10 room. I get a cleaner floor using an old dish towel and some home made cleaner. I think the only outstanding cleaning product that has been introduced in the last decade is the dry electrostatic cloth, like Swiffer or Pledge "Grab-It." Otherwise, you can replace most of the stuff under your kitchen sink with some ammonia, alcohol, vinegar, and dishwashing liquid.

I'm the same way when I visit the cleaning aisle. I'll admit to using some things for convenience... I really like the Oxi-Clean Active Spray for laundry stains. But most of my cleaning jobs are done with my homemade cleaner.
Nan
<< I really like the Oxi-Clean Active Spray for laundry stains >> ____Reply Separator_____ I don't know about the spray, but compare the ingredients in the expensive Oxi-Clean powder to the ingredients in the cheapest color safe powdered bleach.
On 29 Apr 2004 19:45:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comic (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

I'm sure it's a better deal, cut I don't use powdered laundry supplies. I wash everything in cold water, and my hard water doesn't lend itself to dissolving powders very well.
Nan