help! laundry detergent disaster

i had a 2.34 gallon jug of Costco Laundry Detergent fall off the washer & break. I wasn't around when it happened & i just found out when i walked into the laundry room & literally stuck to the floor! There's about a millimeter thick layer of this dried stuff on the floor, it's like glue. Is there anything short of lots & lots of towels & hot water? anyone have any handy tips or recommendations? i'd be eternally grateful.

Reply to
melissa

sounds like a phone call for help from SERVPRO a company that cleans up after disasters like this.

Reply to
Muvin Gruvin

Maybe rent a wet/dry vac and re wet with water and then vacuum it up. It'll probably take several attempts to get it all. Good luck! I've found it's nearly as hard to clean up spilled liquid soap as it is cooking oil.

-- Piper

Reply to
Piper

Try to scrape/scoop up as much as you possibly can. If you add water to it, you will be in there *forever*, trying to get it all up! Once you've got the majority of it up, use rubbing alcohol on towels or paper towels to get up the remainder. I know retail stores use a granular substance that quickly absorbs spills, but I'm not sure what it is called. A store like Home Depot or Menards may have a similar product.

Good luck!

Nan

Reply to
Nan

How about scraping with something like a putty knife? Maybe water or another solvent would help.

You might get the rest with a pump-up sprayer in one hand and the wand of a wet-dry vac or carpet cleaner in the other hand, but the machine would have to vent the soap bubbles outdoors. Otherwise, a string mop and wringer bucket might be the most efficient method. You could also wipe with several wet towels, put them into a bucket of water, dump them into the washer to spin, and use them again.

***
Reply to
Sawney Beane

No easy way out. I'd sprinkle a liberal amount of play sand on a section and use a stiff putty knife to mix the sand into the detergent. The sand should offer lots of surface area for the detergent to stick to. The mix should become lumpy and somewhat brittle. It can be scooped up with a wide putty knife--or even a strong cooking spatula.

I'm suggesting sand because of its weight, but saw dust or kitty litter might work. By all means hold off on using water for as long as you can.

Please, report on how the cleanup goes because this happens more often than we think.

A dog's life is too short; their only fault really.

Reply to
Michael A. Ball

Michael A. Ball wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

If it is not too late, try using a hair dryer to warm the dried detergent and then use a plastic putty knife to work it loose.

Reply to
Walter