Help -- buying a house but unsure about allergies

we're buying a 16 year old house and everytime my wife and I been inside for little while, we both had this weird allergy feeling where our noses get dry and feels like we're allergic to something. The seller has a cat there and our agent said it's mostlikely pet dander, neither one of us are allergic to cats, yet whenever we went to see this house, we felt the same thing again. Iam scheduling a carpet cleaner to come and clean the carpets as well as the air ducts and vents before we move into thehouse this month. The cleaning companies i spoke with seem to all be eager to get rid of this probelm, uet they don't have anything specific to clean pet dander. I am looking for suggestions on what to make sure the cleaning do to resolve this and wether or not it could be something completly other than the pet dander, since we're not allergic to pets.
your response is much appreciated
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

for
dry
to
again.
the
uet
wether
Did anyone die there? is it built on a graveyard?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Personally, I'd find another house. I have few allergies, and cat dander is one of them. Carpet cleaning is not going to solve it.
On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 00:26:22 GMT, "Hassane Bouhia"

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 00:26:22 GMT, "Hassane Bouhia"

If you're not allergic to cats, then pet dander isn't your problem. Do you know if you have any other allergies? If so, you can have the cleaning companies concentrate on those issues. If not, then ask them to concentrate on the most likely allergens such as mold and dust.
Nan
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

for
dry
to
again.
the
uet
wether
If you haven't closed on the house yet, then I would advise you to find another one. The real problem is that you don't know what is causing the reaction. Without knowing the cause, finding a solution isn't likely. You could go through a series of increasingly costly attempts to correct the situation and each one might be unsuccessful. I would be concerned with your real-estate agent's attitude. He/she should be looking out for your interests, not trying to rationalize what is causing the problem. I bet that if you asked the agent to state in writing the cause and solution of the problem they would RUN.
At the very least, I would consider if there was a budget to have all the carpet and padding replaced and for everything to be sealed with a sealing primer and then painted. If you are going to have the ductwork cleaned, them find someone who can steam clean it. Vacuuming the ducts will be a waste of money. In the long run, what ever conditions allowed mold to grow in the ductwork will most like persist after you move in and the problem will reoccur. You might also consider finding a service that can test for mold. A home inspection service could give you a referral. Finding mold in the house would be a good reason to cancel the sale and get your earnest money refunded.
Mold has become a very serious problem. Sometimes it is hidden in wall cavities that become moist due to small leaks in the roof, foundation, or plumbing. It may not be an allergy, but a reaction to something in the home. Not all physical responses are allergies The problem could be as simple as a cleaning product or air freshener that the homeowner used. It could be from pesticides used by an exterminator. Cleaning companies will be anxious to help because that's how they make their living. I doubt that you will find one that guarantees that their services will solve the problem. Meanwhile, you may be stuck with a house that is making you sick. Just think how bad you might feel after sleeping there.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
My guess is that it is a very dry house-which will cause dry noses.......you also probably ARE reacting to cat dander--you may NOT be allergic to cats (on allergy tests) but the dander-old dander) may be a cause. Also dust mites. Is the house clean? Or did it look dirty or old? Have you ACTUALLY bought the house--is there a "GET OUT OF IT" clause---talk to your realtor!! Duct cleaning has not been found to make a huge difference in houses 25 years old and younger. In fact some cannot be cleaned because of their makeup. If you have the carpets cleaned and get a humidifier (I suggest attaching one to your furnace if possible) and your noses are still dry....I think you will have to replace the car4peting--the problem could be in the padding!!--Carpet companies also can just replace padding!! So maybe that's a MUCH cheaper way to try!!! I've had friends do that and it worked great!! Took the smell away!! But do it AFTER you clean the carpet!!
If you get someone to "test for mold" I can guarantee you that they will find some and tell you all the things you need to do........this is the HOT thing right now!! I'd really hold back on doing anything about that unless you actually SEE the mold then there are ways YOU can clean it! There is mold and mildew in all houses--carpet padding is the biggest culprit!
Good luck! Sijka

for
dry
to
again.
the
uet
wether
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
on another question they suggested the product AtmosKlear. The site address: http://www.atmosklear.com/sitemap.html
Sijka

for
dry
to
again.
the
uet
wether
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.