Help: Bathroom Tile cleaning question

We have really black stuff in certain parts of our bathroom tub tiles, what is the best way to clean them. We tried most common brand stuff but haven't made a dent. I'm not sure if its mildew, mold, or just hard water stain.

Any ideas.

Ok to reply to this email.

Sam

Reply to
Default User

If bleach removes it, then the black stuff is a fungus. If you have fungus, then look for ways to increase ventilation and the fungus won't grow, or at least not as fast. Use about 3/4 c. of bleach, 1/4 c. of detergent to a gallon of warm water.

Reply to
Phisherman

Hi, My name is Marie and I live in Quebec city. Have you heard of the properties of Melaleuca oil? I use a product called Sol-U-Mel and it works on almost everything. I dont know if it would solve your problem. Have you tried bleach? probably. If bleach could not help, i think the only way is to put new corking... good luck and you can my e-mail to answer. good luck Marie form quebec "Default User" a écrit dans le message news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
dupuis.bedard

Black stuff is either A) Mold or B) Bacteria. Mildew by definition grows on living plants only and is usually white-ish. A bleach dilution as described in other responses will kill generally both mold & bacteria. Mold however has spores that bleach will not kill. Spores are released when the mold is disturbed. They will regrow into new mold colonies unless growth conditions are altered. This means 1) remove moisture, 2) remove food sources (soap residue, flaking skin, etc), 3) keeping the bathroom colder than 68 or hotter than 86. Keeping the tile surfaces drier by wiping or squeegee after each shower typically works well. Spraying surfaces with a 'post shower spray' like Clean Shower will also help. You can tell the difference between mold & bacteria by the fact that mold tends to form distinct colonies - clusters of mold, then some space with no growth, then more mold growth. Also mold grows in thicker, fuzzy masses where bacteria are usually very thin layers. Bacteria will frequently stain surfaces and even though you may have killed the bacteria with the bleach dilution, stains can persist. Mold will almost always disappear completely with a bleach solution. If you have lots of mold be cautious of breathing potentially harmful gases that mold can release. In this case use a respirator with an cartridge. Contact a mold remediation firm if you have concerns or have large growth areas.

Good luck!

"Default User" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
Prof. Sunshine