HELP & ADVICE: new home

I just moved into a new flat and the shower unit was really manky (dirty) between the sliding doors. I managed to figure how to take the doors off but managed to bend one of the little slider hooks at the top. It's not 100% broken yet, but I imagine it will be after frequent opening & closing the sliding shower door.
1. Can someone recommend me on how to fix this, taking into account that the broken thing is exposed to frequent water.
2. Also anyone recommend on cleaning the black moss-like substance that lies at the bottom & underneath the sliding doors?
3. Both my sink water taps are loose and thus are rotating when we turn the taps on & off. How can we fix this? (without going to a plumber).
On 16 May 2006 07:31:48 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com"

Cant help you with the slider hook ...Is the shower screen maker not known .???
As for the black death .Thats mildew and many and weary are the suggestions on here to get rid of it and keep it at bay .Vinegar is one suggestion .
As for the taps ..If you look underneath you will see a (probably) plastic nut called a top hat nut that when screwed up tight stops the tap from turning . It could be loose or it could be split in which case it will need to be replaced( preferably with a brass one) and that means turning off the water unless you get one that can be opened up and put in place without turning the water off . I saw it yesterday in the www.bes.co.uk catalogue but I dont know how good it will be . Item No 16788
Stuart
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

I'd remove it and use a shower curtain, but then, I hate sliding shower doors.

One reason to hate sliding shower doors - can't keep them clean of mildew very easily. And, you can't just open up the shower area between showers to let it air out and dry out as much.
A bleach solution will take care of that. Be diligent about using any fans or opening doors and windows after your showers to keep your bathroom dry as pracicable. Give your bathroom twice-yearly deep cleanups where all surfaces get de-mildewed, all bathmats and shower curtains and similar are bleach-cleaned or replaced, all at once. Those measures keep the mildew down.
Banty

Phil
for mildew in corners or hard to reach places I have soaked paper towel or toilet paper with bleach and cover the areas with it and let set over night. Works like a charm.
On 16 May 2006 07:31:48 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com"

Most home-improvement stores (such as Lowes, Home Depot, DIYs, hardware store) should carry these parts.

Use a weak bleach solution, one-quarter cup bleach, 1/2 teaspoon dishwashing liquid to 1 quart warm water. Apply this solution, wait 5 minutes, wipe, rinse. Best to install a timer switch to the bathroom fan and run this fan for 20-30 minutes after every shower.

Gently pry off the decorative cap with a screwdriver and tighten the screw.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Not without a picture, no.

Bleach and a nailbrush.

Bloody heck. I wonder if they are on flexibles..you need to get a tap spanner up from underneath and tighten them up.
If you want a bodge that will keep you sane while you save for a new kitchen, dry em out and wedge some silicone underneath.
Thanks everyone for giving me help, suggestions and advice. I now learnt about Mildew (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mildew) and follow (http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/housing/356-643/356-643.html ).
My bathroom is tiny and has no windows and a tiny crappy extractor fan that doesn't seem to do anything.
I will try and look for a good dehumidifier or/and normal fan to dry the bathroom and lower the moisture. I already take off my shower doors after a shower to let the insides dry.
Any more tips?

fan. In this place, it was just blowing the insulation around. As a temp measure until new roof and exhaust port go on this summer, I put a hose on it hung near an existing vent hole. Made a big difference in how well the exhaust fam sucked.
aem sends...
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

dehumidifier is a very effective solution. If you get one you can forget about the fan.
NT
do they really exist? I tried searching on internet and found no products....