Hazy mirror due to aquarium

We used to have an aquarium sitting on a dresser. The mirror above the dresser now has a haze. I don't know if this is hard water spots, or if it has more to do with the chemicals used in the tank. Windex doesn't make a dent. Suggestions?

jen

Reply to
shinypenny

Does the haze have a "texture". Can you "feel" it?

Sijka

Reply to
sijka

Use some vinegar over the haze, try to keep it wet as long as possible.

Windex is not necessarily WINDEX. There is store grade Windex and Institutional grade WINDEX and Commercial grade WINDEX. With Windex, size does matter, hi hi.....

TTUL Gary

Reply to
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

This may not have anything to do with the aquarium. If household ammonia does not remove the haze, the mirror may need to be replaced or resilvered. If you use an ammonia-based product, disconnect the pump and seal the top of the tank with Saran wrap first and leave it there for a few hours. Ammonia is poisonous to fish!

Reply to
Phisherman

The fish are long since dead, due to natural causes!

jen

Reply to
shinypenny

On 6 Nov 2003 12:01:44 -0800 shinypenny lemented...

In that case, a little CLR should clean the glass. Protect your dresser and other items. Use CLR with care and do not apply to wood. Follow with a polish using Windex or paper towel slightly moistened with vinegar.

Reply to
Phisherman

What is CLR, and where do I find it (Home Cheapo?)?

Reply to
shinypenny

Got mine at WalMart. CLR stands for Calcium, Lime, Rust. It is packaged in a gray (hard to pour) plastic bottle. Don't get this stuff on your skin. Do not use on/in aquarium tanks.

Reply to
Phisherman

Yes - it's a subtle difference, though. The haze feels... hmmmm... "papery" compared to the mirror, which feels more slippery like glass. What does that mean?

jen

Reply to
shinypenny