Hardwood floor cleaning?

Hi there. My hubby and I spent our weekend sanding and staining our hardwood floors and are in between our 1st and 2nd coats of varnish (doing 3 altogether). When we're done with this we need to come up with a new way to clean it since we just pulled the carpet up a couple weeks ago and have never had hardwood floors before this. I'm pretty cerain that water is bad for them so what do we use when we have a mess on the floor that must be cleaned with liquid (otherwise we'll just vacuum every week or so to keep the dirt from scratching the floors)?
I just wanted to hear what others had for ideas.
TIA Shelley

I don't know much about them, either, but I know that there are a lot of products on the market to clean wood floors. I believe that the Murphy's Oil products are supposed to be good. Just follow the directions!
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~
wrote:

hardwood
way
have
bad
keep

hardwood
bad
It is true that putting large volumes of water on a wood floor is a bad idea. However, you can use a damp mop, just don't slosh water on the floor and mop it up. I would also think that unless you live in a very clean environment without any kids or pets that you will have to clean the floor more than once a week.
I have laminate floors that require about the same care as wood floors. I use a broom and/or a Swiffer dry mop on them daily. It only takes a minute and if you get the Swiffer Max mop, it cuts the time down considerably. Of course you could vacuum, but the Swiffer is faster. Every day or two after sweeping the floors, I either damp mop them or use my steam cleaner. The steamer is great because it cleans well, uses no chemicals, and leaves the floors nearly dry. For damp mopping, I just put an old piece of bath towel on the Swiffer mop head and use the home made cleaner that was suggested here: 1/2 cup vinegar, 1/2 cup ammonia, 1/2 cup alcohol, 1 1/2 cups water. I put this in an old dish detergent bottle and sprits it on the floor, immediately following with the mop. You could also use a commercial cleaner like Lysol One Step, or you could use one of the newer damp mops like Swiffer Wet Jet.

eeek but mine do take their shoes off at the back door and the dog has a towel for his paws if it's wet out!

floor
I keep the windows closed most of the year and have an electronic air cleaner on the furnace that runs 24/7. I still get an amazing amount of dust. If I only swept the floor once a week I would have dust bunnies!

You have a fire all year round? In winter I get a lot of dust from my warm air central heating but the rest of the year there's very little. Windows and doors wide open it comes in one and blows out the other!

When the windows are closed, I set the fan to the "on" position. I got a new furnace/AC unit last year with a high efficiency, variable speed DC motor that supposedly costs about the same to run as a 75 watt bulb. This keeps the air flowing through the system and therefore through the electronic air cleaner. I am amazed at the amount of dust and debris. Even in areas like my walk-in closet, there is a lot of dust. I vacuum the area rugs every day, so I can't see that it is coming from them. Who knows! I have comptemplated having the stuff analyzed to see what it is.
You can pay to get your ducts cleaned. We had that done and it made a huge difference as to the amount of dust showing up everywhere. Just an idea.
Shelley

of
Even
area

Ah! AC= Air conditioning? That must be great in hot weather. If you vacuum every day perhaps the vacuum pumps out some dust?

the
of
bunnies!
This
Even
area
I have a relatively new Electrolux vacuum with a HEPA filter. I'm not sure how effective these things are, so it could be partially due to the vacuum.
On Mon, 31 May 2004 00:11:50 GMT, "Shelley"

I vacuum a couple of times a week with the big floor attachment and wash about once a fortnight with a rag swilled in a warm dilute liquid floor soap for wood and squeezed out so it's not dripping wet.
Thank you for all the suggestions. We have no kids and just one small dachshund who sheds very little but I think we have decided on a dry swiffer to use a couple of times a week to keep the dust rhinocerouses (yeah, bunnies aren't a good description of what we found when we moved the furniture to refinish these floors) away and we will also make sure the dog gets his nails trimmed once a week to avoid scratches from that.
Thanks again!
Shelley

hardwood
bad