Guards Fabric Protector

Depends on the value of the couch and how the couch is used. An alternative is to apply ScotchGuard, and reapply every 6 months. A slipcover is a better value, as this can be washed and gives some wear protection.

Reply to
Phisherman

Hi, A furniture manufacturer can apply this to a provide this to a fabric three seeter couch prior delivery for $90. Is it worth the money.

Reply to
Ricardo

Whoops, should have said "Guardsman"

Reply to
Ricardo

It's price is $550.

Reply to
Ricardo

I would say NO. Paying $90 for fabric protection on a $550 sofa seems out of proportion. As has been mentioned, you can get some and do it yourself for a few dollars. The old fabric protection scheme is just an add-on sales technique. I think it is marginally dishonest, especially if done in a high-pressure way or if unrealistic claims are made for the service. I wonder sometimes if they don't just take your money and fail to apply the product. Also, there is a good chance that the fabric already has some fabric protector on it. I agree that if the sofa is going to see much use, I would look into a slip cover. You can get ready-made slipcovers for a sofa for around $60.

Reply to
Vox Humana

I agree many thanks.................

Reply to
Ricardo

I've been told that any brand of this type of coating will only last about a year. Seems like a big waste of money to me.

Reply to
Tom Miller

Hi Ricardo,

This will just be a water proofing agent, either silicone based or water based. We sell a water based one on our site that covers 75 sq/m for around $75, so you can judge the profit element assuming you add something for the time an opperator takes to apply the finish.

You can take a look at the site to see what it does but it would be impracticle to send to the USA.

Reply to
DrClean

I use it on my chairs as a protection - but it costs a lot less of coure.

Reply to
DrClean

Many Thanks for all the replies.

Regards Ricardo

Reply to
Ricardo

Hi Ricardo

We had a 2 seat couch (loveseat) and a Lazyboy recliner that were recovered by an upholstery shop. We had the recliner treated with that Guardsman stuff, my wife did the couch with a store brand aerosol, took 3 cans. $60.00 vs $17.00 Both lasted about 8 months before they would absorb spills rather than run off. She got a different product from an Amway Distributor that was actually cheaper and lasted much longer, over a year easily, more like a year and a half. 3 cans did the loveseat AND the recliner. After that she used Scotchguard which also only lasted about 8 months. So from then on, she would only use the Amway made stuff, Diferb? Driferb? Difarb? whatever, something that sounds like that.

I used Scotchguard on an outdoor covered glider, soaked that canopy top and in 2 years it still don't leak on drop through the fabric.

Since then I have learned that there are two types, water based and solvent based. Solvent based is the longest lasting and doesn't build up as the water based type does.

TTUL Gary

Reply to
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Thanks, I'll probably treat it myself as well.

Reply to
Ricardo