getting rid of red slime in shower

I have been trying to get rid of a red slime that keeps coming back in my shower. Within 2 to 3 weeks, it reappears.

I've tried Pine Sol and the other cleaners, and we even tried bleach, and throwing away our cleaning brush each time, but no luck.

Question: Does anyone know what this stuff is?

Question: Does anyone know how to get rid of it, permanently?

One day it just showed up, and ever since it just keeps coming back every 2 to 3 weeks.

Reply to
Frank

Phisherman

Hi Frank

It's a form of Cyanobacteria that commonly appears in bathrooms when the nitrate levels in your water supply, and on occasion phosphorus levels are abnormally high.

Being a naturally occurring bacteria, it will appear every time the conditions are just right for it's development and growth.

Silicone will inhibit it's growth quite well, but at the same time turn your shower into a slip n slide if you get it on the floor.

Bleach will kill it, but not prevent it's return! But there are a couple of tricks used in the motel industry to keep it at bay. After bleaching and rinsing the shower clean of bacteria, follow up by using one of these two products. Try Carbonated Water first, if it seems to enhance the problem, use Vinegar instead. One or the other will usually keep the cyano at bay. Orange oil cleaner can also help keep it under control, until your water supply is back to normal again.

TTUL Gary

"Frank" wrote:

Reply to
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Red cyanobacteria? It's Serratia marcescens. It's usually spread by airborne dust. Perhaps Frank allowed a dusty person like you to use his bathroom.

This bacterium has been a favorite for experiments because it's visible and usually harmless. It keeps com>

Reply to
Choreboy

Hi Choreboy

Cyanobacteria is a Blue-Green Algae that can take on a red appearance in highly alkaline circumstances. It plagues reef aquarists to no end! And has been found on the walls of humid locations such as bathrooms, but mainly in coastal areas.

I'm glad you have the correct name for the common red algae that grows on bathroom walls Serratia marcescens!

Thanks for the correction!

TTUL Gary

Choreboy wrote:

Reply to
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

The Bates Motel had that problem. The clerk suspected his mother.

Reply to
Barbecue Bob

is not a algae or fungus it's a bacteria

try painting area with iodine solution that is colorless

hth peter

Reply to
ilaboo

HI, I have a reddish stain..not slimy..is it the same thing? it is found in the sink around the drain and around the faucet. It is also in the bathtub around the drain. It does not develop in the toilet though..

Reply to
adry

replying to Frank, harleyontherun wrote: It is from iron in your water. If you have a well, open up the top of the lid outside and pour in a gallon of good bleach. Leave it in over night. Do not let anyone use the water. In the morning turn on every faucet and let it run at least a half hour or until the bleach smell is gone. To clean it use bar keeps comet like product. Walmart sells it. It is the only thing I have found that removes it from the shower. It is always going to come back. Careful as it can get slippery. We have a watersoftner with iron out salt. We still get it. Just use bar keep every two weeks and you will be fine.

Reply to
harleyontherun