getting rid of red slime in shower

I have been trying to get rid of a red slime that keeps coming back in my shower. Within 2 to 3 weeks, it reappears.
I've tried Pine Sol and the other cleaners, and we even tried bleach, and throwing away our cleaning brush each time, but no luck.
Question: Does anyone know what this stuff is?
Question: Does anyone know how to get rid of it, permanently?
One day it just showed up, and ever since it just keeps coming back every 2 to 3 weeks.
Probably fungus. If so household bleach will kill it, but it will keep coming back unless you dry your shower after each use.

Hi Frank
It's a form of Cyanobacteria that commonly appears in bathrooms when the nitrate levels in your water supply, and on occasion phosphorus levels are abnormally high.
Being a naturally occurring bacteria, it will appear every time the conditions are just right for it's development and growth.
Silicone will inhibit it's growth quite well, but at the same time turn your shower into a slip n slide if you get it on the floor.
Bleach will kill it, but not prevent it's return! But there are a couple of tricks used in the motel industry to keep it at bay. After bleaching and rinsing the shower clean of bacteria, follow up by using one of these two products. Try Carbonated Water first, if it seems to enhance the problem, use Vinegar instead. One or the other will usually keep the cyano at bay. Orange oil cleaner can also help keep it under control, until your water supply is back to normal again.
TTUL Gary

Red cyanobacteria? It's Serratia marcescens. It's usually spread by airborne dust. Perhaps Frank allowed a dusty person like you to use his bathroom.
This bacterium has been a favorite for experiments because it's visible and usually harmless. It keeps coming back because it doesn't require much. Spraying or wiping with water containing borax should keep it from growing. Borax is bacteriostatic, and it takes only a tiny bit. If the borax gets washed off, it may have to be sprayed again.
"Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr." wrote:

Hi Choreboy
Cyanobacteria is a Blue-Green Algae that can take on a red appearance in highly alkaline circumstances. It plagues reef aquarists to no end! And has been found on the walls of humid locations such as bathrooms, but mainly in coastal areas.
I'm glad you have the correct name for the common red algae that grows on bathroom walls Serratia marcescens!
Thanks for the correction!
TTUL Gary

bathroom.
are
your
at
using

is not a algae or fungus it's a bacteria
try painting area with iodine solution that is colorless
hth peter

The Bates Motel had that problem. The clerk suspected his mother.
--
Barbecue Bob Serving family-style roast bunny
at fine restaurants