funky chair

I acquired a fabric-covered recliner from a relative. It's in great shape, but was rather soiled with age, especially on the arms and where people's heads rest on it. When I had the carpets cleaners in, I had them clean the chair, and it looks nice now, but still has somewhat of a funky odor, especially when the air is damp.
I'm allergic to the fragrance in Fabreeze. What else can you suggest to deodorize this chair?
--
jamie ( snipped-for-privacy@newsguy.com)

"There's a seeker born every minute."

Try one of the other fabric fresheners. I got some large cans of Resolve fabric freshener a few years ago at one of the warehouse clubs and it has a completely different fragrance than Fabreeze. I like it better than Fabreeze. I'm sure that I have seen other brands, including store brands of fabric freshener.

Those all have added fragrance. Any air "freshener" type fragrance makes me ill.
--
jamie ( snipped-for-privacy@newsguy.com)

"There's a seeker born every minute."
snipped-for-privacy@sure.spam-me-silly.net (jamie) wrote in message

You might try using baby powder, or an odorless talcum powder. When my kids were potty training and they had an accident on the couch, mattress, or carpet, I'd sprinkle a good layer of baby powder on it while still wet, and let it dry overnight. Then I'd simply vaccuum up the powder. The powder soaks up the excess moisture (sounds to me like your chair may still be a bit damp?) and leaves a nice pleasant baby scent.
Then again, it could be mold. When you say "funky" does it smell moldy? Or is it more of a body odor?
jen

It's more like old sweat in the upholstery. I thought the cleaning from the carpet cleansers would remove it, when it removed the visible dirt. It's a shame, because it looks almost new.
Maybe I'll have to Fabreze it and leave it in the garage until the fragrance goes away, if nobody has any non-scented suggestions.