front loader washers

I bought a front loader and it's in my new house which I haven't moved into yet. My question is, can I use additives like washing soda, Borax, etc? I know I have to buy an HE detergent but was wondering about the other stuff.

Thanks, Bonnie

Reply to
rosebud

I always used washing soda in my front loader. I would put a handful in the drum with the washing or dissolve it in hot water and pour it into the dispenser. I've never used Borax so can't help you there dear. PS My front loader is no more, I have been doing it by hand for a few months - hard work and my poor hands are raw from wringing and hanging out on the line in winter winds. It sometimes takes an age to dry and I don't believe it's anywhere near as clean either.

Reply to
Mrs Bonk

This is not the forum for such negativity. How do you think you've made Lissa feel? Wringing your hands and hanging them on the line are not constructive suggestions.

The important thing is not to put too much gravel in a front loader. My BIL did that, then went too fast over rough ground. Now it sinks when he stands on it to prune his apple trees.

Reply to
Denominator

What has this to do with Lissa? I was replying to Rosebud you ninny. alt.whine removed ( troll)

Reply to
Mrs Bonk

thanks Mrs Bonk. Someone on That Home Site suggested using detergent alone for a while so I get used to a front loader's abilities. Then trying the additives I have to see if there is any difference. thought it was a good idea since I have these as leftover from my top loader.

Reply to
rosebud

You will find the front loader washes quite well as long as you don't put too many clothes in at a time. I've had mine for about a year and I am so happy with it. I haven't had a need for Borax since getting it, but I would probably add a little of it in the pre-treater portion of the detergent tray if I had a load of moth ball or urine smelling laundry. Washing soda is usually only needed where there is hard water, so you may not need it in your new location. Other additives: Pre-treating stains gets done the same as before, Stain Stick or spray with Zout. Bleach and fabric softener each have a special little bin in the detergent adding drawer. I sometimes add vinegar to the rinse instead of commercial fabric softeners and so far that has caused no problems. Follow the HE detergent directions for how much to add. If by chance you have too many suds in a load you can eliminate some by adding a little fabric softener immediately, so just pour a little in the detergent part of the detergent tray/drawer followed by a cup of water to help it get down into the washing load. A few moments later you should see less suds, if not add a little more softener.

There is a little learning curve for filling a front loader without over filling it. If you have over-filled it your clothes will still smell dirty at the end of the wash, simply break the load into two loads and re-wash them.

If your front loader gets a musty odor clean the rubber portions around the inside of the door and such according to your machine owner's manual, then run the washer with a little detergent or Arm & Hammer and after it has stopped leave the door slightly ajar until it is dry inside the machine. Debra in VA See my quilts at

Debra