fried bacon troubles.

Page 4 of 9

PaPaPeng wrote:

It would be neater to drape the bacon over the exhaust manifold and take your car for a spin around the block.
Jerry
✖

He does that too .......
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 16:50:16 -0500, Joel M. Eichen

Now you know why dogs chase cars.
Add pictures here
✖

Very good one!
Imaginative .....
Joel
Add pictures here
✖
PaPaPeng wrote:

Bacon deep fried in hot enough fat, held up by one end to drip as it's removed, then cooled on absorbent paper (brown bag, paper towel, inkless newsprint) is crisp enough to snap when cooled. Make bits for garnish by crushing it in your hand; no need for a knife.
Jerry
✖
Amber Gibson wrote:

I deep fry whenever I cook more than a few slices.By letting the oil accumulate in the skillet, there is soon enough to completely submerge the slices. The hotter the fat, the faster the cooking. When I get going for a mob, the first slice is done by the time the last goes in. The drill is one in, one out, as quickly as I can manage. By the time I get to the third pound, it needs only about 3 minutes start to end.
Jerry
✖
ghbt wrote:

I don't see the problem! The smell of fried bacon is one of the best smells in the world. If they put out a room freshener with a fried bacon scent I'd probably buy it. But then again it would just make me hungry for bacon so maybe that wouldn't be such a good idea. ;-)
However, if he's "burning" the bacon - a sin if there ever was one - then I can see how you'd want to get rid of the smell. The best way would be to get rid of the son as he is committing sacrilege by burning perfectly good bacon.
Kate
--
Kate Connally
✖

I think they have it ......

Add pictures here
✖
Kate Connally wrote:

I agree, and I can't think of a way to reduce the smell of frying bacon. Perhaps if the son broils the bacon instead of frying it, more of the smell will stay in the oven? Though that still seems like a solution in search of a problem.
-aem
Add pictures here
✖
Kate Connally wrote:

The only way to cook it. If it bends, it's raw.

We pass a house on our morning bike rides that more often than not exudes the aroma of bacon. I think it should be a law that if the aroma leaves the house the cooks must give samples to anyone who asks. Maybe a full serving. What's a serving of bacon, 6 slices? That's about right...
--
Cheers, Bev
✖

don't like the smell to linger all day....
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 19:56:57 GMT, "ghbt"

Yup, have him get friendly with the kid next door and introduce him to crispy bacon.
Joel

Add pictures here
✖
Make the kid move into his own place.
Add pictures here
✖

Or cook the bacon outside ..... or at Robert Morein's place.
Add pictures here
✖

assuming you have changed the filter in the hood recently - here are some suggestions, in the order of drasticity:
1. turn on the bathroom fan just before frying - it exhausts outside. 2. Microwave the bacon - being under the paper towel, grease doesn't float around the room. (zap it about a minute a slice, btw). The hood can handle that small amount. 3. buy precooked bacon - it just needs a warmup in the microwave/broiler 4. get a countertop deep fryer with a metal lid and leave the grease in it on the countertop (like, what disease you fear can live in 400 F boiling oil?) - bacon cooks a lot faster once the oil is hot, and you can cap it except when its frying, keeping down the odor - (cook a piece of potato in it ocasionally to remove odor.) The hood should handle the small amount of odor ok. 5. Burn a candle in a candle chimney to get rid of odors - the air passing by the open flame gets air de-odorized rather quickly (a couple hours, usually - no need to have scented candles in a chimney. However - note that any electronics devices with lasers - DVDs, games, etc. will get a clouded laser rather quickly from unchimneyed candles) 6. buy a bottle of bacon crumbles and some bananas and introduce him to peanut butter. 7. Tell him his x-box, nintendo, etc, will die in about a year from bacon grease going into the box at the fan, clouding the laser and killing the machine. Bacon or games? 8. Get a hibachi and have him cook his bacon on a stick, out on the deck or on the roof. 9. Teach the boy the benefits of eating raw bacon 10. Take the boy to a petting zoo and get him to make friends with the cutest little piglet you can find and get the pig's name. Then each time he asks for bacon, say "Sure. Suppose this is little ____?". ( Ok, this may warp him a little, but then warping him like this has a bright side - he might go into politics and that warping will get him at the level of prime minister or president.) 11. Don't fry bacon. 12. Don't buy bacon 13. Get rid of the kid
just about run out of ideas, there.

Add pictures here
✖

You forgot:
14. Shoot the kid 15. Replace the kid with one that doesn't like bacon 16. Move out and leave the flat to the kid 17. Call out the National Guard
:-)
--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University
On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:36:37 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net (Dan Abel) wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
Joel M. Eichen wrote:

Or Islam. There's Kosher "bacon", you know. Made from beef plate. Something like fryable pastrami.
Jerry
✖

OK pass the Halel bacon .......
Add pictures here
✖
Joel M. Eichen wrote:

On Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn, there is at least one butcher who sells meat that is both Kosher and Halal. He has a lot of goat meat as well as beef, and sometimes camel.
Jerry
P.S. It's not true that there is Kosher bacon from circumcised hogs.
✖