fried bacon troubles.

Page 3 of 9

thanks for all the responses. would you or anyone be able to give me the name or manufacturer of the above ' microwavable bacon dishes' since i am in london u.k. and may have to order one from the u.s. since i have not seen them here. many thanks

ghbt wrote:

The one I have has ridges so that the food is supported as if on a grill. I rarely use it. A glass or china plate works as well for bacon and needs less room in the dishwasher.
Many microwave dishes are partly conductive, and so are heated by the microwave radiation. This helps to brown the outside of some foods. It makes no difference to bacon.
Jerry

The bacon cooking dish - (replaced my slanted, ribbed, microwave "bacon cooker" withn its paper towels because it was easier this way)
Get two sheets decent grade paper towel off roll, don't separate.
Place bacon on bottom sheet, fold top sheet loosely over bacon at towel separator crease. (Bottom towel asbsorbs grease and helps fry, top towel minimizes spatters.)
(For more than two strips bacon, add another sheet to the bottom.)
Set towel with bacon on that mini-stack (3) of decent plastic-COATED (Dixie, e.g.) microwave safe paper plates you keep in the microwave so you don't have to clean the wave or keep getting plates. (If the top paper plate gets greasy and it doesn't wipe well enough with a paper towel, you can toss it.)
Zap on high for 1:20 for a 750 watt, about 1 minute for a 1000 watt, (about 12 seconds for a 5000 watt doesn't work as well, you need to fry a bit). If you get different cooking in spots, and turning it halfway thru doesn't help, IME it's usually old bacon.

ghbt wrote:

don't need it, i use a regular plate with several layers of paper towel.

I did a google search on "microwave bacon dish uk" and found one. You may want to look for others. Here is the link:
http://www.instorevideo.co.uk/kitchenware4.html

You could also try www.lakeland.co.uk
-- altheim
On 15 Mar 2005 16:35:35 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Robert Morein says there is no such thing ....
Joel

Take your meds

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 12:05:20 -0800, Robert Morien

Robert gets his bacon from a buffalo ......

Actually from Canada
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

It costs two or three times per slice what uncooked bacon does. I make my own. I cook a pound or two at a time, save the bacon fat, and keep unused slices in the freezer. I wouldn't fry up one slice to have bacon bits for a salad of string beans, but with it in the freezer, I can have them. I have a long rectangular plastic container that they just fit.
Sugar-cured bacon has a "bite" in my mouth. Two BLT sandwiches will leave my palate a bit sore. I've been told that sugar is added to bacon to make it brown up more readily; one certainly doesn't need the sweetness. Most cooked bacon in the market -- all that I've seen -- is sugar cured. What I cook myself is not.
Jerry

Once, on half-price special.
A little thin on the grease, way too pricey, and using the microwave and paper towel method on uncooked, no big advantage in time. I still use two paper towels, and for me it meant I nuked for 45 seconds less a slice -- for $10 a pound equivalent, it wasn't worth it.
I've seen it in the stores,

Yes, there is........
It's not bad if used in Sandwiches.
--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the
On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:12:56 -0800, Robert Morien

Don't normally eat the stuff myself - too much of a mess to clean up. Bacon on a BBQ steak is great when cooked outdoors.
Anyway here's a suggestion. Use one of those deep fryers for potato chips and cook a whole batch of bacon. I think you can be frugal by storing this oil with bacon fat for the next batch. My anticipation is that deep frying bacon in oil will keep vaporizing the oil to the minimum. Put the precooked bacon on a sieve to drain off the excess grease. Prepack the precooked bacon in meal sized portions and store in a fridge. To eat nuke the protion in a microwave oven in between paper towels to absorb the excess grease and to minumize spatter. I think that should result in hot crispy bacon strips that would have only minimal grease.
PaPaPeng wrote:

have you every tried deep-fried bacon? Back when I worked at a burger place in high school, the cooks would try that every so often, because it's faster. It's really gross tho.
On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 21:41:09 -0600, in misc.consumers.frugal-living Amber Gibson

Where my other half works they cook the bacon then leave it in bowl above the stove all day.. when someone orders a bacon burger they heat it up by deep frying it.
On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 21:41:09 -0600, Amber Gibson

I agree. Greasy bacon is gross but I do get the itch to eat some once a month or so. That's why I suggested sieve draining the bacon while hot before packing. And putting them betweeen paper napkins when nuking so as to remove more grease.

I'm surprised that no one has suggested bakin' it in the oven on a cookie sheet - the grease doesn't get hot enough to vaporize, and if you spread the slices on a cake cooking rack, they drain automatically - make it as crisp as you like.

Yes that works - I've tried it.
My missus came home one day with microwavable bacon. Slices of bacon in plastic bags that just go in the microwave. They swell up like a pop-corn bag and the result is not too bad - though not as mouth- watering as bacon from a freshly sizzling frypan.
But it seems an expensive way of avoiding the smell.
-- altheim

My initial reaction was I wouldn't want to grease up my full sized oven by baking bacon in it. It would have been difficult to clean and if not cleaned, become a haven for microbes.
Then I thought it over again and a tabletop toaster oven should do the trick. The grease is drained as it is being cooked and the grease in the drain pan can be discarded promptly. A tabletop toaster oven is cheap enough.