fried bacon troubles.

Hi, we live in a small flat with open plan kitchen joining with the living room. Our son is very fond of 'fried' bacon which he likes fried up so that it's very crispy.

Consequently he really stinks the flat up, and the smell lasts for ages ! Any suggestions please; as to how to either get rid of the smell once there or prevent it being too bad when he fries the bacon in the first place.

I know an extractor fan leading to the outside would be the answer, but i dont need the expense at the moment. We have a simple fan in the cooker hood which simply draws the air through some charcoal and a filter and then puts it back into the room, so i dont believe it is really of benefit.

grateful for any suggestions, thanks.

Reply to
ghbt

buy pre-cooked bacon

Reply to
Robert Morien

I don't see the problem! The smell of fried bacon is one of the best smells in the world. If they put out a room freshener with a fried bacon scent I'd probably buy it. But then again it would just make me hungry for bacon so maybe that wouldn't be such a good idea. ;-)

However, if he's "burning" the bacon - a sin if there ever was one - then I can see how you'd want to get rid of the smell. The best way would be to get rid of the son as he is committing sacrilege by burning perfectly good bacon.

Kate

Reply to
Kate Connally

Yup, have him get friendly with the kid next door and introduce him to crispy bacon.

Joel

Reply to
Joel M. Eichen

Robert, there is no pre-cooked bacon.

Reply to
Joel M. Eichen

I think they have it ......

Reply to
Joel M. Eichen

I agree, and I can't think of a way to reduce the smell of frying bacon. Perhaps if the son broils the bacon instead of frying it, more of the smell will stay in the oven? Though that still seems like a solution in search of a problem.

-aem

Reply to
aem

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:36:45 -0500, Joel M. Eichen scribbled:

Sure there is...

Nan

Reply to
Nan

Sh-h-h-h-h-h- I am fooling Robert .......

Reply to
Joel M. Eichen

Here ya go Robert ,,,,,,, just serve so0mething else to the rabbi .....

Joel M. Eichen

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:47:50 -0500, Joel M. Eichen scribbled:

Okay, I'm lost ;-)

Nan

Reply to
Nan

hormel has pre-cooked, and I think farmland does also.

warm it in the micro wave

Reply to
--

Make the kid move into his own place.

Reply to
Wooly

assuming you have changed the filter in the hood recently - here are some suggestions, in the order of drasticity:

  1. turn on the bathroom fan just before frying - it exhausts outside.
  2. Microwave the bacon - being under the paper towel, grease doesn't float around the room. (zap it about a minute a slice, btw). The hood can handle that small amount.
  3. buy precooked bacon - it just needs a warmup in the microwave/broiler
  4. get a countertop deep fryer with a metal lid and leave the grease in it on the countertop (like, what disease you fear can live in 400 F boiling oil?) - bacon cooks a lot faster once the oil is hot, and you can cap it except when its frying, keeping down the odor - (cook a piece of potato in it ocasionally to remove odor.) The hood should handle the small amount of odor ok.
  5. Burn a candle in a candle chimney to get rid of odors - the air passing by the open flame gets air de-odorized rather quickly (a couple hours, usually - no need to have scented candles in a chimney. However - note that any electronics devices with lasers - DVDs, games, etc. will get a clouded laser rather quickly from unchimneyed candles)
  6. buy a bottle of bacon crumbles and some bananas and introduce him to peanut butter.
  7. Tell him his x-box, nintendo, etc, will die in about a year from bacon grease going into the box at the fan, clouding the laser and killing the machine. Bacon or games?
  8. Get a hibachi and have him cook his bacon on a stick, out on the deck or on the roof.
  9. Teach the boy the benefits of eating raw bacon
  10. Take the boy to a petting zoo and get him to make friends with the cutest little piglet you can find and get the pig's name. Then each time he asks for bacon, say "Sure. Suppose this is little ____?". ( Ok, this may warp him a little, but then warping him like this has a bright side - he might go into politics and that warping will get him at the level of prime minister or president.)
  11. Don't fry bacon.
  12. Don't buy bacon
  13. Get rid of the kid

just about run out of ideas, there.

Reply to
--

======================

Use "OZIUM" spray. It's amazing. Not a scent that overrides other scents. It actually changes the molecules of the offending smells. You can find it in large chain drugstores, and Home Depot, too--. It comes in a tall narrow can, white with blue print. You'll love it. Nancree

Reply to
nancree

Microwave it between paper towels. It's not as crispy as pan-fried, but the odor is minimal. Using a splatter screen over top of the pan may help, as it may lessen odor molecules that are escaping into the air.

Reply to
tracert

Or cook the bacon outside ..... or at Robert Morein's place.

Reply to
Joel M. Eichen

I've tried two different brands (name brands, but I can't remember what they were) and both were excellent. The price may be not much worse than regular bacon if you have no use for the leftover bacon grease and the convenience is extreme.

Reply to
The Real Bev

The only way to cook it. If it bends, it's raw.

We pass a house on our morning bike rides that more often than not exudes the aroma of bacon. I think it should be a law that if the aroma leaves the house the cooks must give samples to anyone who asks. Maybe a full serving. What's a serving of bacon, 6 slices? That's about right...

Reply to
The Real Bev

dip it in a tempura batter before cooking.

.max

Reply to
max