Free & clear H.E. laundry detergent?

I have always purchased laundry detergent that is free of perfumes and dyes.

We are about to get a new, high-efficiency, front-loading washer, so I started browsing detergent options at the supermarket. The washer requires an H.E. (high efficiency) rated detergent.

Most of the brands offer a "Free & Clear" detergent. And most of the brands offer an H.E. rated detergent. But I did not see any that were labeled as both free & clear, and also H.E.

Are there any that you know of ?

- David

Reply to
David D.

I sometimes wash my laundry in a front loader but never paid attention to the odor of my clean clothes.

Detergent residue may be worse for the skin than perfume. It may be that perfumes are added to mask the odors of residues, particularly from powders. Front loaders have several rinses, then spin the water out better than top loaders. Residues and perfumes should be less of a problem with front loaders.

Tide has Tide Free HE liquid. Liquids don't clean as well as powders, but they leave cloth softer.

All Free will work in a front-loader.

Eurotech and Persil have perfume-dye-free detergents for front loaders.

I haven't heard of what dyes might bother the skin. The dye I know of is bluing, intended to keep whites from yellowing. It wouldn't be in detergents for colored fabrics.

Reply to
Choreboy

Thanks, Choreboy.

That is helpful information.

- David

Reply to
David D.

Same here. Sensitivity issues. I've mostly used liquids as I've had problems with residue from powders (especially in cold water loads).

I'm currently using Tide Free HE in my front loader. I was leery of trying it, a I found I could not use theregular Tide HE powder (came as a sample with the washer), becausethe perfumes knocked me over and even with extra rinses, regular Tide caused some skin irritation. But the Tide Free HE works fine.

In the past, I've used regular Purex Free (does not suds much), and sometimes Arm&Hammer Free (suds a little bit more than Purex but not so much as to be a problem) in my front loader.

I tried All Free but it makes too much suds, and I've not seen an All Free HE version.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz