Fireplace creosote? odor

Occasionally we get a very strong creosote(?) odor from our wood burning fireplace. The fireplace was professionally cleaned a year ago. Any suggestions as to how to eliminate the odor much appreciated. J C

Reply to
J C Prunty

Water in the chimney can bring the creosote odor into the house. If the outside of the chimney is clean, it can be waterproofed with suitable paint. (Cement-based paint works for cement blocks.)

Capping it can keep out rain during a downpour. One kind of cap is a roof of masonry or metal a few inches above the chimney. I prefer an inverted funnel fashioned of flashing aluminum. A funnel whose small end is 1/3 the diameter of the chimney will divert about 89% of the rain that would otherwise go down the chimney. It will also keep out drafts of cold air when the fire is burning low. Keeping out the cold air will keep the chimney drawing better and reduce creosote deposits.

Dry wood produces much less creosote than green wood, and you get twice the heat.

With a stove, one can greatly reduce creosote by restricting primary air (which comes in low) and supplying plenty of secondary air (which comes in high) until the smoke is burned off and a pile of glowing coals is left. It might be possible to do that with some fireplaces.

Reply to
Lloyd Randall

There are logs you can buy that will clean your flue out of any residue that might be left in there. You can find them in most department stores.

Reply to
kimberlycards