Effective Air Oderizers ??

Does anyone have a recommendation on a good air freshner for the home? I don't mean those little plug-ins, which are nearly worthless in my experience.
Some time ago, I tried one of those battery operated units that use a cannister to freshen the air every 1/2 hour or so (adjustable), but I found they didn't last and were noisy at night.
I have also tried those small cans with wicks, that you set out around the house, but I don't really like them. When you first put them out, they are too powerful, and then they degrade quickly and require replacing too often.
I just thought some of you might have had good success with something that I haven't heard of before.
Thanks for any tips !!
--James--

What stinks so much you need to use these things?
The human mind learns to ignore things like strong smells once you get used to it, perhaps you have desensitized yourself to air fresheners. ANything with scent will need to be replenished often. Manufacturers depend on these things to sell more air fresheners.
To save money try growing some aromatic herbs in your garden . Rosemary grows fast and is very powerful for example

haklesup wrote:

So true; I call this the "old lady" syndrome. I've been in close proximity to old ladies whos perfume was so strong I almost puked, but I'm sure they could hardly smell it anymore so they douse themselves in it.
My ole lady loves, and i think they hide smells quite well, scented oils, you light a candle under them and it burns the oil on a glass platform on the top. these things are awesome, and i definately recomend them to anyone who wants to either conceal a smell or just pretty up the place. Let me what you think

I just bought a packet of that "volcanic rock" stuff. You put it in a return vent and it's supposed to get rid of odor. It has no scent of it's own. I figured when I bought it that it'd be $10 down the toilet but it appears to be working. Maybe it's just a placebo effect.
Bonnie

An open window does wonders. TB

Not when it's 20 degrees out.

Oderizer? You want to stink up your house?
<typos are so much fun>
later,
tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com
The Real Tom wrote:

Give me a 12 pak, a pot-o-chili, extra spicy, and a spot on your sofa, I'll stink up your house all you want. Hell, I'll even take off my shoes. You'll be puking in no time.

good suggestions in this thread: open window; grow aromatic herbs
devices which put scents out only mask the odor, go to the source and stop it there
a good electric hepa air filter unit should work if it persists (or central air or heat unit)

HEPA will get rid or dust but you need charcoal filter to get rid of most smells. Many filters have both.

Take those stanky sweat socks away from your central air return inlet and you won't need those artificial stink concealers.
James wrote:

Ozone generator.
Not one of those pissant Sonic Air or electrostatic toys - get one that can, at maximum setting, put out 900ug/hour.
You can keep dead bodies virtually unnoticed. Forever.
On a more practical level, our office consists only of heavy smokers. This device protects us from second-hand smoke!

More likely it's killing you faster, but whatever makes you happy.
If your house needs to be deodorized, you should figure out why, and deal with the actual problem, not mask it with more chemicals.
Of course, you wouldn't want to leave these going at night, or when you're not there, but I prefer the small simmering pot pourri burners that use tea-light candles. Most artificial scents have elements that bother my nose, so I add a few whole cloves, a chunk of stick cinnamon and several drops of food-grade lemon oil and some orange extract to the water.
In a home in a northern climate that has radiators, you can add these things (or other simmering pot pourri mix) to pans of water placed on radiators in the winter.

--
jamie ( snipped-for-privacy@newsguy.com)

"There's a seeker born every minute."