dried greese/oil on overhead kitchen fan?

hello. Is there any suggestion on how to clean off acumulated greese on an overhead kitchen vent. the vent is above my kitchen stove.
i've tried stuff from orange clean, goo gone, paint thinner... and lots more to no success.
any help would be much appreciated.
wil.

I use a homemade solution that cuts grease very well:
1 cup ammonia 1 pint alcohol 2 T. dish liquid (I use Dawn)
Pour ingredients into gallon jug and add water to fill jug. Tip over gently a few times to mix.
Nan

Hi Wil.
Why not steam clean it, the heat will liquify the fat and you should get a good job done.
-- DrClean www.DrClean.co.uk The Best Fabric Cleaning Resource on the Web

Full-strength ammonia with some Dawn dishwashing liquid should cut the grease.
Oven cleaner (lye) will definitely work, but there are many hazards with using it. Do not use lye or lye products on aluminum.
thanks for all your replies folks! amonia huh, i'd better use a lot of ventelation.
thanks again. wilson.