Dishwasher recommendations?

Hello All,

I am looking for a lower-end dishwasher (don't want to spend much more than $300 if I can get away with it), and would like to see if anyone has any recommendations? I don't need any fancy cycles--the light, normal, heavy will do just fine. Noise isn't too much of an issue. I'd rather have a self-cleaning filter which I read adds to the noise but I don't care.

I've also read that a "sanitization" feature isn't really all that necessary either. What are your thoughts?

TIA, Karen

Reply to
concrtslt

I like the sanitize cycle. Most dishwasher have a heating element in them to facilitate drying. The sani-cycle just allows you to heat the water with the element that already exists so there shouldn't be much of a price issue. The heated wash cycle allows you to set the temperature on your water heater low, so in the long-run you should save energy by just heating a couple of gallons of water occasionally in the dishwasher than keeping 40 gallons of water heated hot enough to adequately clean your dishes. The boost in water temperature on the sani-cycle in my dishwasher makes a big difference in the effectiveness of the machine. If by "isn't ... necessary" you mean that it isn't necessary from a health perspective, that is probably true.

The consistent winner over at rec.food.equipment for low-end, domestic dishwasher is Maytag. I would also look at a low end Whirlpool (which is going to be almost identical mechanically to Kitchenaid, but with fewer features) and Sears Kenmore. Whirlpool makes many of the Kenmore appliances to Sear's specifications. You may find that you are getting a Whirlpool-Kitchenaid dishwasher with a few more features at a little better price-point. If you are a Costco member, take a look there. They often have good prices on appliances and have a lot of rebates. Their Kirkland Signature line is made by Whirlpool.

My KitchenAid dishwasher has a bunch of cycles and features. I use the pots-and-pans and normal cycles about 99% of the time. I never use the china/crystal cycle. I sometimes use the short wash cycle but could easily do without it. You really should not use the rinse only cycle as it wastes water and energy. My dishwasher has a stainless interior and hold the heat very well. I use the sani-wash and sani-rinse cycle and turn off the heated dry. The residual heat dries the dishes quite well.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Look at Maytag. Mine was maybe a bit more than $300 about four years ago. It's still doing a great job on pots and pans.

Reply to
Melba's Jammin'

Before you spend ANY money, go to a FREECYCLE website in your area and post your need online. Who knows - somebody may have one they'd be willing to get rid of! Melinda

Reply to
melindasaccount

you might also check out craiglist......lotsa stuff for sale on there....go to search enter craigslist/ your nearest town and you should get the website.

Reply to
Muvin Gruvin