crusty cooktop burner pans

I bought a house built in 1958 with the original cooktop stove -- an O'Keefe and Merritt. The burner pans have so much baked on/*in* grease and whatever, they are impossible to clean to the point that they look like the stainless steel (presumedly) pans they once were. They look predominantly black. I can get the surface clean but can't get down to the stainless steel. I'd prefer to shine these up but all attempts thus far have failed. I have used the "Astonish" tablets and paste. I've used non-abrasive cleansers. Nothing. Any suggestions for getting them clean and shiny?
Alternatively, any hot tips on where to get new ones? Each 2-set burner has one fused pan with wells underneath each burner. If that makes sense.
GF

If they are stainless steel, cast iron, or porcelain coated steel, you can use oven clean on them. I put mine in a plastic garbage bag, spray with heavy duty oven clean (not the fume-free type which I find less powerful), close the bag, and let them sit over night. You will be able to rinse away most, if not all, of the mess. In truly stubborn cases, you might have to repeat this. For areas that just won't come clean without a good scrubbing, use some Barkeeper's Friend and a Scotchbright pad.
If the pans are aluminum, you probably won't be able to get them totally clean and can not use oven cleaner on them.
Vox Humana wrote:

In that case you can put all the stuff in a garbage bag, then put in a pan/bowl of ammonia (a quart or so will work). Tie the bag shut, leave for a day or two. When you take the stuff out the crud will come right off...it's a surefire method for cleaning most anything that has a lot of gunk caked on.
--
Best
Greg

On Thu, 26 May 2005 11:20:01 GMT, "Gregory Morrow"

My mother has aluminium pans and will surely benefit from this advice. Thanks, Greg!
GF

I don't think you can use the ammonia on aluminum.

GF
As Vox suggests, use a cheap oven cleaner. Best to take the pans outdoors and spray them there with your back to the wind. Wear rubber gloves, be careful not to breathe the fumes, and rinse well with water. Lye is toxic, a strong alkaline, will dissolve skin tissue, and very soluble in water. Do not use oven cleaner on aluminum.
You can purchase new pans at Home Depot or here:
www.repairclinc.com
I have purchased numerous parts from this web site and had good luck with customer service. They have good appliance cleaning tips too!
On Wed, 25 May 2005 16:37:08 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net (GirlFriend) wrote:

Thanks, Phisherman, you top-poster, you ;-) If I'm unable to get my pans clean, I'll try this site. Thanks so much!
GF