Could humidifier be contaminated?

I have an April-Aire humidifier on the gas furnace. The orifice was clogged and it wasn't working. I finally cleaned it about 10 days ago, and it is now working. And now both my wife and I have a cough, accompanied by phlegm and runny eyes. I jokingly told her that I think there was something growing in the water panel evaporator and now that it's working, this "something" is being released in the air and infecting us. Is it possible that this is true! The panel was changed at the beginning of last years (2002-2003) heating season.

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

Hi Tom

More than likely its the downwind leg of the ductwork leading from the humidifier.

Some mold probably formed there, and now getting a fresh dose of humid air has caused it to proliferate.

If your humidifier is easily slipped off so you can get to this area of the ductwork, spraying some bleach inside the run will kill the mold, follow up with a rinse of clear water. Give it a little time to air out and dry before turning everything back on.

FWIW: Most of the nation has come down with flu like colds, it passed through this area last month and had the whole household down twice because of it.

TTUL Gary

Reply to
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.