Cooking fat residue on upholstery

Hi everyone,
I think the extractor fan in my kitchen hasn't been working too well as I've begun to notice that during cooking, smoke/steam drifts over to the dining area and deposits a sticky residue over everything. This is particularly problematic on chair upholstery and I'd rather ask advice before experimenting with any potentially damaging chemical cleaners. So if anyone has any ideas, I would be very grateful to hear them!
--
Many thanks!

Dave Matthews

This is my problem also and I don't have a solution other than to slipcover items you can't clean easily. Carpets are a problem also in this regard - they can get really icky with grease over time. This is a big beef I have with these open plan home designs. I long for the kitchen we had in an older house with a swinging door, but which contained all the effects of cooking in the kitchen.
RB