clear glass shower screens

hello!

after two months in this house i've discovered the second reason clear glass shower screens aren't very common - soap scum!! (the first reason they're not very common is entirely obvious, of course).

is there some common household stuff (vinegar? metho?) or some sort of method i could use to keep soap scum under control round the bottoms of the doors? to date i've just been wiping it over, so a little bit stays behind every time (it appears). i'm not prepared to buy commercial glass anti-soap-scum cleaner unless there's literally no other way, because i know for a fact i'll only ever use it intermittently (say, just before we move, or something like that :-).

thanks in advance! kylie

Reply to
0tterbot

You can try using a steam cleaner or Bon Ami to do an initial cleaning or the glass. For tile and vinyl/pvc shower pans, you can use a paste of automatic dishwasher powder and a 3M scrubber sponge. After the initial cleaning, it just takes a few seconds after each shower to keep it clean.

I have a hand-held shower, so when I am done with the shower, I use that to rinse down the walls and glass. That eliminates all the soap. I also use a daily shower mist to prevent spots and mildew. It only takes seconds to rinse and mist and is far easier than scrubbing the shower periodically to remove built-up soap scum. I was using a commercial shower mist, but now I make my own. I use two cups of chlorine bleach, 1/2 cup of borax (20 Mule Team) powder, and a couple tablespoons of dishwasher rinse agent in a gallon jug. I fill the jug with hot water and shake to mix. This prevents both mildew and the orange biofilm that would build up in the shower. I should note that I have a water softener. I don't know if that makes any difference.

Reply to
Vox Humana

I know this is before the fact rather than after the fact, but I keep a squeegee in the shower, which has glass doors, and squeegee all the surface with it then dry with the bath towel I've just used (including the track). It only takes a couple of minutes. It may sound fusspot, but it beats cleaning everything after the scum has formed (and I have a high mineral and iron content, with no softener, so I've been there and done that). Try it once you have cleaned to your satisfaction using the other suggestions here.

Dora

Reply to
limey

I don't know. You're not moving now and you want to clean it.

mm

If at all possible get rid of the glass shower doors and get a shower curtain - much easier to keep clean, glass shower doors a major PITA. And if you do remove the glass shower doors be prepared to retch when you remove the metal frames - ALL kinds of gunk collects inside the frames, no matter how clean you think you keep it.

-- Best Greg

Reply to
Gregory Morrow
Reply to