Cleaning up after a flood

The Allegheny County (Pennsylvania) HEALTH Department said that if you're cleaning after the flood, wear rubber boots, rubber gloves, and be up to date on your tetnus shot. And most important, don't let the children play in it.

They must not have heard Terry Kerry say that if you're in an area that has been devastated by a flood, go naked, especially the children. And this advice comes from the wife of John Kerry who knows all about what this country needs in the way of HEALTH care.

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

I don't suppose you have a citation that supports your claim about Mrs. Kerry?

Reply to
Vox Humana

Well, she in fact said it, but if all you listen to is the major tv networks they will not report it, because it was a very weird comment by her, and they wish to be supportive only of the Kerrys. It has been all over the talk radio channels.

--James--

I don't suppose you have a citation that supports your claim about Mrs. Kerry?

Reply to
James Nipper

If all you listen to is right-wing talk radio, then you often hear lies and distortions. I'm not saying that this is a lie, I just asked for a citation. Got one that doesn't involve Hannity, Limbaugh, et.el, -- something in context?

Reply to
Vox Humana

Nothing on my radio about it!

Reply to
Sweep

I actually READ the whole article and the quote, and what she said was kind of mis-reported. She was at an event where they were packing up food, clothing, water and other items to send to the Caribbean. The part of "let the children go naked" was true, but it was in the context of "Generators, gasoline and water are much more vital goods for them to get in the devastated areas. Let the kids go naked now, the other stuff is a more immediate need" (and thats not a direct quote, but includes the context of the whole thing she said)

OMG, I can't believe that I am defending what she said, but her comments were taken WAY out of context.

Reply to
Tracey

I see that you conveniently left out your original post so I am going to copy it here and then comment.

Tom wrote: "The Allegheny County (Pennsylvania) HEALTH Department said that if you're cleaning after the flood, wear rubber boots, rubber gloves, and be up to date on your tetnus shot. And most important, don't let the children play in it.

They must not have heard Terry Kerry say that if you're in an area that has been devastated by a flood, go naked, especially the children. And this advice comes from the wife of John Kerry who knows all about what this country needs in the way of HEALTH care."

There are several problems with your post that are either the result of logical error, ignorance, or intentional distortion motivated by politics.

  1. What your county's health department wrote was accurate - for a flood in YOUR area. That is, if you live in Sewickley, PA and the Ohio River floods, it floods all the sewage treatment plants on its banks, causing raw sewage to come rushing into your home. Obviously you have to take precautions. However, having a the ocean wash into your home because of a storm serge isn't the same thing. Therefore, your fist error was to equate the two situations and then erroneously assume that the information posted by the health department would apply to the people in the Caribbean islands
  2. Your ASSUME that if someone sent clothing that it would somehow protect the recipients should there be bacterial contamination. I sincerely doubt that most people drop off rubber gloves and boots to Goodwill or the Red Cross. It wouldn't matter how many pairs of your old skid-marked BVDs that your unload on the people of the Caribbean, they wouldn't be protected from infectious diseases - not even the children.
  3. Mrs. Kerry did not say "if you're Teresa Heinz Kerry joined volunteers packing supplies for those worst hit by the storm in the Caribbean but said she feared they were concentrating on sending too many clothes and not enough water or electricity generators.

"Clothing is wonderful, but let them go naked for a while, at least the kids," she said.

"Water is necessary, and then generators, and then food, and then clothes."

There is a distinct difference. As you can see when it is posted in context, she has set some priorities. Your wife's old pair of Sears polyester stirrup pants with a big spaghetti stain on the crotch just aren't as high a priority as clean drinking water, food, and power that can be used to cook food and boil water. Even Jeb Bush and the Red Cross asked people NOT to send clothing to Florida because they don't need clothing.

  1. Your remark about the nation's health care is simply a non sequitor 1.. An inference or conclusion that does not follow from the premises or evidence. 2.. A statement that does not follow logically from what preceded it. Of course you are entitled to your political opinions, no matter how illogical. I do think you do everyone a disservice by distorting the facts, particularly people who have already been the victims of a natural disaster. These people really need more that your old cast off clothing. They need food and water so they can live to wear clothing in the future. A well dressed corpse isn't the goal of disaster relief. It is beyond me how people can use a situation that has resulted in multiple deaths and widespread devastation to slam someone like Mrs. Kerry, particularly since she was participating in the relief effort. I wonder what Tom has done to help the people of this disaster.
Reply to
Vox Humana

Well, at least we got past the point that this had not been a news item. Defend her statement or not, it was made, and does not endear her to the masses.

--James--

Reply to
James Nipper

It wasn't a news item because it isn't news.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Thank you! Seeing that a hell of lot of homes in villages that were destroyed never had electricity in the first place, why would they need generators? Probably the clothes on their backs were the only earthly possessions they had. But according to Terry Kerry, they didn't need clothing. But hey, what the hell, when you have more money and possessions than god, what do you know about what people need?

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

How could you tell if the homes had electricity or not? Be specific.

Many people in Florida and the surrounding areas escaped death only with the clothes on their backs. Does that mean that they need more clothes if limited resources mean deciding between shipping more clothes or food and water? Again, explain how it is better to be well dressed but go without clean water and food. Please let us know if you also disagree with the Red Cross because they urged people NOT to send clothing to Florida.

Actually, she said that clothing was "wonderful" but that water, clothing, and generators were a higher priority. Again, you are telling lies to make some point. I guess that you would distort the truth at the potential harm of people who are disaster victims in order to smear someone who you dislike because of their wealth. Do you also hate the Bush family which is also quite wealthy? How about Pittsburgh native, Richard Mellon Scaife, who has a net worth of at least $1 Billon - roughly equal to Mrs. Kerry and who also acquired said money through inheritance - surely you must really hate him.

Your statement about Mrs. Kerry not knowing what people need is laughable. This whole thing was born out of a statement of concern about the need of the victims while she was participating the in the relief effort. You may not agree that they need food and water more than they need your old clothing but you haven't explained the logic behind your position. I'm sure glad you don't work in an ER where you would be responsible for triage.

Reply to
Vox Humana

From a news article:

Carcasses of pigs, goats and dogs still floated in muddy waters slowly receding from the streets in Gonaives, Haiti's third-largest city with some 250,000 people. Not a house escaped damage. The homeless sloshed through the streets carrying belongings on their heads, while people with houses that still had roofs tried to dry scavenged clothes.

____Reply Separator_____

Scavenged clothes? Sounds like they could use clothing.

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

____Reply Separator_____ No electricity at home, so Haitians study in parks

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (Reuters) -- Anode Fidele, a high school student in Haiti, visits downtown Place Jeremie two or three times a week to study for her classes.

Rather than staying at home, where many feel compelled to retreat in fear of street crime in this poor Caribbean nation, Fidele, 18, braves the public plaza at night, coming around 7 p.m. and leaving at around 9 or 10.

She has little choice. In the past few months, state-owned Electricity of Haiti (EdH) has left most of the capital's 2.5 million residents in the dark for much of the time.

"This is a grave problem -- the government doesn't give us electricity very often," said Fidele, taking a break from reading her philosophy book. "Since the park is the only place with electricity, I come here."

She was not the only one that night. The Carrefour-Feuilles district plaza, filled with people playing basketball or just hanging out, has also become one of a handful of popular places for Port-au-Prince residents to find light to read at night.

Blackouts have grown increasingly common in the capital, with many people cut off from electricity for anywhere from 16 to 22 hours a day. In some of the capital's congested shantytowns, people go days without electricity.

Even the wealthy with inverters that convert battery-stored DC power to AC current suffer because the electric company cannot pump enough energy to recharge the batteries.

Students who are not lucky enough to live near a lighted public plaza have to modify their study schedules according to that of EdH. If the government supplies power between 3 and 5 a.m., students wake up and study between those hours. If they do not have any electricity, they may go to class unprepared.

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

So they have plenty of food and water. If only Mrs. Kerry had read the paper before she spoke!

Reply to
Homer Brewer

So their houses are wired and need generators. Mrs. Kerry should have said, "Hear me now and believe me later."

Reply to
Homer Brewer

So they needed the generators even before the hurricane struck.

Reply to
Vox Humana