Cleaning towels

Hi

I find towels very hard to clean, I've tried soaking them in washing powder, but its hard to get all the dirt off and they're not soft where they've been used.

What's the best way to clean them thoroughly, they're dark so I guess I can't use bleach.

Many thanks

Reply to
Xanadu

You can use a non-chlorine bleach powder (do not soak them in this solution). Make sure you follow the directions carefully. Put vinegar in the rinse. Tumble dry should soften the fabric, or dry them on a clothes line on a windy day.

Reply to
Phisherman

Some dyes are colorfast, even dark one. You can test a corner of a towel to see if you can use chlorine bleach. Also, use very hot water and try a detergent booster with enzymes like Biz.

Reply to
Vox Humana

On Fri 26 Aug 2005 12:36:17p, Xanadu wrote in alt.home.cleaning:

A soak in hot water with Arm & Hammer washing soda, followed by a wash in hot water, detergent, and washing soda will clean them well without altering the color.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

-> Hi

->

-> I find towels very hard to clean, I've tried soaking them in washing powder,

-> but its hard to get all the dirt off and they're not soft where they've been

-> used.

->

-> What's the best way to clean them thoroughly, they're dark so I guess I

-> can't use bleach.

I bleach all my towels. So far, the only ones that change color are the cheap ones. I'm no decorating snob, so I don't worry too much about the color of my towels.

Reply to
Suzie-Q

What are you doing with the towels to get them that dirty ? I mostly use them to dry off with after the dirt is gone.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery